Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Half day, full day? What does it matter to them?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:01 AM
  • 21 Replies

Sam started his new program march 7. He did 2.5 hours the first few days and then we increased time slowly and surely. We tried 2 full days before Easter break, but they didn't go well and school felt it was important for this to be positive so they suggested we pull back to 5 hours a day, which is where we are now. (School is 6 hours total). 

As you know, Sam is now an out of district student. 

The genetleman second in control of special ed has emailed me 3 times since Sam began his new program asking if Sam is full day yet... And when we had our transition meeting was very "when will he be full days! What's the plan? Huh? huh? What's the plan?" And SAMs school was very much like..."ummm, we need to see how Sam does, the plan is fluid, depending in the needs of the child." 

And another email last night. "Is Sam full days yet?" 

Why? 

He doesn't care....this is not a deep concern for the well being of my son... Noooo...

Do you think it's different money with 1/2 day students and full day? i just can't imagine WHY he keeps asking (and pushing!!!!) 

sam is just 60 minutes short of full day. Next week, we are going to increase by 30 minutes and see how it goes.... We will progress from there after we see how he does. 

For the life of me, I can NOT figure out why Mr.R keeps pushing for Sam to be full days?!?! What, do they pay by the hour??!?! Is Sam a cheap motel room? LOL... 

What do you think? It's money, somehow.... But how would it matter?!?! 

by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadyAmaranth
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:05 AM
Always about money.
Same things going on with my son concerning getting him back to his old school vs this program for behaviorally challenged kids. One thing after another to keep him there a bit longer.

Always about the money each kid brings to a school/program.
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:12 AM

I agree...money but how? 

This man who is concerned about full day works for our OLD district. Sam isn't a student there. I realize the old district has to pay the new district... But the new district isn't pushing for full day... They're trying to do what's best for Sam.... 

Quoting LadyAmaranth: Always about money. Same things going on with my son concerning getting him back to his old school vs this program for behaviorally challenged kids. One thing after another to keep him there a bit longer. Always about the money each kid brings to a school/program.

LadyAmaranth
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:17 AM
Old district is tired of paying new, wants that money back in their district.

If you can, without stirring the pot, I'd tell that guy to get off your back. No reason to keep hounding you at all. I'd tell him when you know he'll know.

Quoting SamMom912:

I agree...money but how? 

This man who is concerned about full day works for our OLD district. Sam isn't a student there. I realize the old district has to pay the new district... But the new district isn't pushing for full day... They're trying to do what's best for Sam.... 

Quoting LadyAmaranth: Always about money.
Same things going on with my son concerning getting him back to his old school vs this program for behaviorally challenged kids. One thing after another to keep him there a bit longer.

Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:23 AM

I agree with the last post. I would reply saying as soon as it changes I will let you know. Or head it off with an email to him everyday with the times he was in school. It is all about the money. They most likely have a time frame that they need to meet and don't really care if the child is ready or not. 

Glad to hear he is doing well. Going from 2.5- 5 hours is great. Glad the school is working with him.

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:16 AM
Sam Just started out of district...

Quoting LadyAmaranth: Old district is tired of paying new, wants that money back in their district.

If you can, without stirring the pot, I'd tell that guy to get off your back. No reason to keep hounding you at all. I'd tell him when you know he'll know.

Quoting SamMom912:

I agree...money but how? 

Quoting LadyAmaranth: Always about money.

jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 10, 2015 at 10:55 AM
I'm really glad that the new school is taking a slow approach and using what works best for Sam!

As far as the old district, I agree with you, it is baffling why he would be pushing so hard, even if they are having to pay the other district. Is it that he wants to make sure they're getting their money's worth? I mean, come on, why should they care whether its 5 hours or 6?

I agree with the others, reply to his email and tell him that Sam is acclimating to the new environment at his own pace (with full agreement of school staff) and that you will let him know when he is attending full day. Kind of a "polite" way of saying MYOB and get off my case!
mandee1503
by Amanda on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:28 AM
I doubt the old school is paying for him at the new school. But the new school might not be getting any money if he's not hitting a minimum time. They have to be in class for so many hours for the state to pay.
jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:39 AM
2 moms liked this
I think the home district has to pay the out of area district because it was proven that they could not provide an adequate placement for him. Since his parents pay taxes in his home district, they are responsible financially for fulfilling his academic needs.

Different situation, but when Alex did the intensive feeding clinic the first time, it was during the school year and our county had to pay Baltimore City public schools for a teacher to fulfill his IEP goals while he was admitted for those 6 weeks.

Quoting mandee1503: I doubt the old school is paying for him at the new school. But the new school might not be getting any money if he's not hitting a minimum time. They have to be in class for so many hours for the state to pay.
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:41 AM
My home district does pay for the new school. Whats baffling is the new school is taking it easy- with no pressure- whatever works for Sam... The old school is lkke "when is full day?!" Where ud think it was the other way around...,

Quoting mandee1503: I doubt the old school is paying for him at the new school. But the new school might not be getting any money if he's not hitting a minimum time. They have to be in class for so many hours for the state to pay.
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:45 AM
Yes!

Our home school did not have an appropriate class for him...

He is entitled to a free and appropriate education. :)

Quoting jjamom: I think the home district has to pay the out of area district because it was proven that they could not provide an adequate placement for him. Since his parents pay taxes in his home district, they are responsible financially for fulfilling his academic needs.

Different situation, but when Alex did the intensive feeding clinic the first time, it was during the school year and our county had to pay Baltimore City public schools for a teacher to fulfill his IEP goals while he was admitted for those 6 weeks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)