Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Keep back or move on

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 7:32 PM
  • 9 Replies

my son is in 1st grade. He has had yet another rough year. He is in a classroom with 5-6 kids and still struggles. We had our IEP meeting this week. I was happy with all the services they are going to try for him and added a speech consult and observation. I am willing to give them until the end of this year, summer and beginning of next year to show an improvement. I did however ask to keep him in 1st grade next year. They said it has nothing to do with his IEP and something I need to meet with the princapal about. I am not sure what is the right thing to do. 

For the last 2 years the school tried to tell me he did not need an IEP and was right on target for his grade. I never felt he was but they are the teachers and honestly I wanted him out of the preschool/kindergarten school and in The school he is currently in. Fast forward to this year. He is now working on a 1st grade level but at a level one. I am not sure if that's because this class has failed him or if the other school lied to me. 

I want him to get the best education as we all do but I don't know where that is for him. This week alone he punched the teacher, had in school suspension and had a 2 person restraint put on him. I had phone calls 3 out of 5 days. The last 2 days were perfect with no behaviors. 

Do I keep him back? Do I ask for another meeting and ask for a collaborative school? 

by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 7:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Apr. 10, 2015 at 7:40 PM
Is he in a mainstream school?
Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 7:44 PM

Yes but in a separate program. He is only mainstreamed for specials, lunch and recess.

Quoting mandee1503: Is he in a mainstream school?

mandee1503
by Amanda on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:58 PM
Then I don't see how they wouldn't just keep him in "1st" unless he is changing teachers and classes the curriculum should be the same. The only thing would his grade.

Quoting Jessiejack:

Yes but in a separate program. He is only mainstreamed for specials, lunch and recess.

Quoting mandee1503: Is he in a mainstream school?

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:58 PM

Two of my three SN kiddos are 3 years and 5 years behind grade level.  I don't hold them back, that's what their IEP is to work on.  I keep them with their same age peers for correct modeling and socialization.

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this
This is what I would do, keep him with his age group.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Two of my three SN kiddos are 3 years and 5 years behind grade level.  I don't hold them back, that's what their IEP is to work on.  I keep them with their same age peers for correct modeling and socialization.

jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:28 PM
Has he had an FBA (Functional Behavior Assessment)? If not, I would request one and from there they can create a BIP (behavior intervention plan). It sounds like perhaps there are behavioral issues that are impacting his learning. Keeping him more focused might help him achieve.

We did hold my son back an extra year for pre-k, but that was because we have all day k here and my son simply didn't have the stamina for an all day k program at that time. He still napped daily for about 3 hours for at least 1/2 of what would have been his K year. He is also small for his age, and younger developmentally, so for us it was a good decision. The year he went to K, he thrived!
letstalk747
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 10:15 PM

k, 1st ans 2nd in some schools all are in a contained classroom together- so move on to 2nd then 3rd see how things are and what to do , i feel he is young enuf yet to do this- what do you think of this ?

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 11, 2015 at 9:40 AM
I agree here. Hugs mama!!!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Linagma03
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2015 at 10:11 PM

Lina is 11 and in 5th grade. She is in a self contained class and this class has 4th, 5th & 6th grade in one classroom. The other class has K-3. If he is in a class like that then there is no need to hold him back. 

I agree that some more evaluations need to be done to come up with a better behavior intervention plan for him. Has he been seen by a pedi behaviorist or physcologist? Maybe he needs to have that kind of assessment done? 

I wish you the best Momma!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)