• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms of Middle/High Schoolers with CP who walk independently, come here!

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 4:16 PM
  • 3 Replies

Pretty specific title, haha!

My 13 year old son has CP. He's in middle school, so he's at the point where he switches classes. He falls quite a bit, so the school provides him with a wheelchair to use for getting from class to class (this stays at school, it's not ours). Not only does this prevent the falling, but it allows him to get from class to class on time (when he was walking on his own, he would be a few minutes late to class).

His physical therapist just ordered him a walker to use. I like this for when he is going long distances. However, she wants him to use it at school, too, so that he's not sitting all day long. I totally get that, but here's the thing... one, he is completely embarassed by it. No 13 year old wants to cart around an electric blue walker, lol. Secondly, the thing is HUGE! It's not easy to fold up at all (he can't do it on his own), and will cause all kinds of issues when it comes to him getting out of the car in the morning and getting back in in the afternoon.

I think it's great for use when we go places on our own, like the mall or wherever, but I just don't think it's neccesary for school. She doesn't want him sitting all day, but really, he spends what, 30 minutes max in the wheelchair? It's just for inbetween classes and he doesn't bring it with him to the cafeteria or to gym class. Is it really worth all that trouble and potential embarassment to him for 30 minutes a day?

His PT is really adamant about it, lol... I think maybe she's overreacting, but I could also be the crazy one here. Would you make your kid use the walker at school, or stick with the wheelchair?

by on May. 5, 2015 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 6, 2015 at 11:27 AM

I agree with you on this.  If he's only using the wheelchair for 30 minutes or so at school, I would let him use it.  He most likely gets practice walking at other times.  You are the mom and you know best:)  Hugs!

Superlaura328
by Member on May. 6, 2015 at 11:37 AM

Thanks! Everytime we go to PT, she's asking if he is taking the walker to school, lol. I just wanted some perspective because I know she's probably going to make me feel like an awful mother for not making him use it, haha! We go on walks around the neighborhood and stuff, and he brings the walker for those so it's not like he's not getting any exercise. I just figure, school is hard enough for him as is, why make it harder if it's really not neccesary! 

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I agree with you on this.  If he's only using the wheelchair for 30 minutes or so at school, I would let him use it.  He most likely gets practice walking at other times.  You are the mom and you know best:)  Hugs!

letstalk747
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2015 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this

i would not make mine use a walker- he does not have CP , IF HE did i wouldnt make him

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)