Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a problem with..................................

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 9:15 PM
  • 15 Replies

my autistic 10year old dd who has  issues with high anxiety, stress not going to school since Jan. had 4 2 1/2 hour session but that it. She can't leave the house with family or the cab that I ride with her. She loss ride now and fibbing out on everybody and her Dr. said Roger memorial hospital. Any advice with help. Thanks

KristyAnne God Bless You

by on May. 7, 2015 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 8, 2015 at 6:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Big hugs mama!  I would also recommend posting this in the Autism group as those ladies can help as well:)

So does her doctor wants her in the hospital?  I'm kind of confused. 

jjamom
by Michele on May. 8, 2015 at 9:44 AM
Is she on any kind of anti-anxiety medication? If not, maybe that is something to explore.
kittycat813
by Member on May. 8, 2015 at 1:41 PM

yes and no

kittycat813
by Member on May. 8, 2015 at 1:41 PM

no no meds

Quoting jjamom: Is she on any kind of anti-anxiety medication? If not, maybe that is something to explore.

kittycat813
by Member on May. 8, 2015 at 1:42 PM

yes Dr. whats her in the hospital

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Big hugs mama!  I would also recommend posting this in the Autism group as those ladies can help as well:)

So does her doctor wants her in the hospital?  I'm kind of confused. 

jjamom
by Michele on May. 8, 2015 at 2:50 PM
Are you saying no, you don't want to do meds or no, she isn't on any meds?

It you're against them, it was just a suggestion. Maybe you could try behavioral therapy instead. If you're not against them, I'd talk to her doctor about it. Even a low dose anti anxiety med may help a lot.

Quoting kittycat813:

no no meds

Quoting jjamom: Is she on any kind of anti-anxiety medication? If not, maybe that is something to explore.

kajira
by on May. 8, 2015 at 3:04 PM
4 moms liked this

Anxiety meds don't fix the issue. Learning how to cope fixes the issue better.

You need to find someone for her to help her identify her triggers, reduce her stress levels, and work with her instead of against her constantly.

If she doesn' thave the language to say "I can't sit in this room because of the ticking clock" it can build up like pressure until she freaks out.

A lot of times sensory overload also comes out like anxiety on the surface to outsiders, especially if they can't get themselves out of the situation like adults can.

As someone who's autistic and medication free, I tried anxiety meds when I was in college and high school, and the key was learning myself BETTER so I could COMMUNICATE better to make sure I could leave a situation if I just couldn't handle it.

It took me 7+ years to get up the courage to go to disney land, but by the time I did, I was able to enjoy myself. (for the most part.)

Had I not spent those years working on communication, triggers, understanding my wiring, etc, I probably would have melted down as a grown up in disneyland and freaked out wanting to leave.... :/

She's a little girl, she needs a professional to help her who actually understands autism, or possibly an autistic mentor who's already worke dwith all of these issues personally, who can help her understand hersel fbetter...

I found most doctors don't understand my feelings at all, and a lot of them presume to tell me how I feel and what i should think and it made me really hostile towards them as a kid,...

Quoting jjamom: Are you saying no, you don't want to do meds or no, she isn't on any meds? It you're against them, it was just a suggestion. Maybe you could try behavioral therapy instead. If you're not against them, I'd talk to her doctor about it. Even a low dose anti anxiety med may help a lot.
Quoting kittycat813:

no no meds

SamMom912
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2015 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this
My 8 yr old Son Sam has the same issues as your DD. School refusals are hard. The unmanaged anxiety was debilitating. We DID decide to medicate and its an extremely low dose. He is also working with a child psychologist who sees LOTS of kids like Sam and does CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) with him to help learn different ways to cope.

I agree with Emma on this being key, but my sons anxiety was so high, it needed to come down so he was able to learn coping skills.

I also changed his school and placement. He is now in a 2e class with therapeutic support. Its been wonderful for him.

I also read a ton and watch youtube videos on autism, learning disabilities. I listen to webinars from ADDitude website as well as ChildMind institute. I can share some great reading material if youd like.
jjamom
by Michele on May. 8, 2015 at 5:33 PM
I completely agree. My thought about the lowdose anti anxiety med was just something to take the edge off while they worked on coping skills. But, I didn't state what I meant very well! It's been a long day. ;)

Quoting kajira:

Anxiety meds don't fix the issue. Learning how to cope fixes the issue better.

You need to find someone for her to help her identify her triggers, reduce her stress levels, and work with her instead of against her constantly.

If she doesn' thave the language to say "I can't sit in this room because of the ticking clock" it can build up like pressure until she freaks out.

A lot of times sensory overload also comes out like anxiety on the surface to outsiders, especially if they can't get themselves out of the situation like adults can.

As someone who's autistic and medication free, I tried anxiety meds when I was in college and high school, and the key was learning myself BETTER so I could COMMUNICATE better to make sure I could leave a situation if I just couldn't handle it.

It took me 7+ years to get up the courage to go to disney land, but by the time I did, I was able to enjoy myself. (for the most part.)

Had I not spent those years working on communication, triggers, understanding my wiring, etc, I probably would have melted down as a grown up in disneyland and freaked out wanting to leave.... :/

She's a little girl, she needs a professional to help her who actually understands autism, or possibly an autistic mentor who's already worke dwith all of these issues personally, who can help her understand hersel fbetter...

I found most doctors don't understand my feelings at all, and a lot of them presume to tell me how I feel and what i should think and it made me really hostile towards them as a kid,...

Quoting jjamom: Are you saying no, you don't want to do meds or no, she isn't on any meds?

It you're against them, it was just a suggestion. Maybe you could try behavioral therapy instead. If you're not against them, I'd talk to her doctor about it. Even a low dose anti anxiety med may help a lot.

Quoting kittycat813:

no no meds

TommyAbby
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2015 at 5:44 PM

So why won't you get her to the hospital? can you try to explain to her that the doctor wants to help her get better so she can go play with her friends and/or make friends?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)