Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Huge Spike in Autism Rates May Be Scaring Parents for No Reason

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 10:21 AM
  • 11 Replies

Huge Spike in Autism Rates May Be Scaring Parents for No Reason

autism definitionFrom the reports we've had about autism rates skyrocketing in recent years, some have used the word "epidemic" to describe the number of kids being diagnosed with the spectrum disorder. Not a bad use of the word when you consider we've gone from 1 in 150 kids on the spectrum back in 2002 to 1 in 68 today (according to the CDC). But could it be that autism rates aren't climbing at all ... that the same number of kids have autism, but more are being diagnosed? That's what researchers at the University of Gothenburg in Sweden are saying now.

In a study published in the British Medical Journal, the scientists are now claiming that autism rates aren't rising at all but that better autism awareness is helping get kids diagnosed. And this is no flash in the pan study. The conclusions were drawn after the researchers looked at nearly 20,000 twins whose families were asked about their symptoms plus the diagnostic records for more than a million children born between 1993 and 2002.

By reviewing symptoms, they say they found that the incidence of autism has been "fairly steady for decades," even as Swedish rates increased. What's more, the researchers say there's no reason their findings don't translate to the diagnoses of autism in other developed nations -- including the United States.

So is this good news for moms? That all depends on how you look at it. Sure, this would indicate there is no sudden autism epidemic, but it still does not explain what's causing 1 in 68 kids to land on the spectrum in the first place.

What do you think is causing the spike in autism rates?

Image via ©

by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
letstalk747
by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:24 AM

i agree with this article

mandee1503
by Amanda on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:30 AM
I agree. Easier to dx and it's happening sooner.
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 1:51 PM
Im a fan of the sexy geek theory... I think its funny...
We sexy smart geeks are finding one another and procreating, making little geeks... Where before perhaps many geeks were not introduced to one another...
Higher rates of geeky men and women going off to college have enabled us to find one another where years ago many didn't further their education, stayed in smaller circles...

I also think earlier findings more people know what to look for, easily available info and knowledge. Women are more self assured asking better questions of their Drs. Not so compliant when they feel something needs attention. Less wait and see more--- lets evaulate.

I was at a party this weekend with lots of geeky smart people--- the host, literally a rocket scientist and a husband a pathologist/chemist and their 2 ASD boys... And boys from the boys schools who's parents I met (Drs, physicists, engineers, college professors) yeah, looking around I giggled at the sexy geek theory.
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:00 PM
I should state hubby is an engineer w/ some law school and I was a graphic designer w/ background in architectural renderings.
Aka: geeks... Lol... And quite sexy! Lol...
Our son is ASD. :)
Linagma03
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2015 at 2:09 AM

I don't have a child on the spectrum but I've followed the information that has been published. I think that the tools to dx a child with any problem has gotten better and parents aren't just sitting back and taking what the dr says as gospel they are pushing for answers which in turn is pushing the science to find the answers. The children are getting dx'd earlier and that is making people think there is an epidemic when there isn't. I believe that when testing for childhood lukemia got better and children were dx'd earlier and getting treated sooner and the survival rate increased the word epidemic was attached to that too. It wasn't an epidemic it was just much better testing. I really think the same thing is going on here too.

MamaLauri
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2015 at 8:17 AM

I agree. LD labeled kids, including ASD and ADHD, come more often from families of leaders, entrepreneurs, physicians, engineers and scientists. For ASD kids, 12.5% of fathers and 21.2% of the grandfathers are engineers. These brain architectures have more environmental sensitivity.

Basal metabolic rate (BMR) scales with body size. The brain is one of the most energetically expensive organs. The gut/immune system is also (the gut is 80% of the immune system). There is a constant scaling between brain energy and gut energy, and parental investment.

The more energetic the brain, the less mature the brain is at birth, and greater parental investment or caring necessary to reach adulthood and potential.

A cow has a small brain, huge gut, low parental investment for its size. This is the basis for a hypothesis for the brain architecture / immune system / parental investment linkage.

Parents and their offspring are more likely to address our changing life style and ever rising pollution that have a negative impact on their children. 

Quoting SamMom912: I should state hubby is an engineer w/ some law school and I was a graphic designer w/ background in architectural renderings. Aka: geeks... Lol... And quite sexy! Lol... Our son is ASD. :)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 3, 2015 at 1:08 PM

Yeah...I agree with this.

LadyAmaranth
by on Jun. 3, 2015 at 1:14 PM
I'd agree.

I think back in the day kids were labeled eccentric or loners, etc but now we have better tools and understanding so we know the basis and name for those labels.
redheadtmk
by on Jun. 3, 2015 at 7:24 PM

If this is true then why are we not seeing a spike in adult diagnosis? You dont outgrow autism or go into remission etc.

bunnywzrd
by Member on Jun. 3, 2015 at 7:44 PM
Quoting redheadtmk:

If this is true then why are we not seeing a spike in adult diagnosis? You dont outgrow autism or go into remission etc.

I think that as adults we wouldn't want to be labled so late in life. Also adults have already developed coping skills and my not remember the issues they has as children. Or may have been told so many times that they are crazy or loners or stupid that they believe it and don't realize they have a real problem. There are different levels of autism. So a high functioning adult wouldn't have to much trouble hiding in the real world.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)