Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help!!!!

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 6:21 PM
  • 7 Replies
My step son has been having issues with relieving his bladder and feces on himself. I am at a loss. I've been in his life since he was 2. There have been some learning disabilities with him, but just with ADHD and speech. Has anyone had these issues as well? He's 7 and his doctor doesn't seem too concerned. We have told the school we want more testing done because of his learning issues and they said it takes at least 6 months to get started with that.
by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 6:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MamaLauri
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 6:33 PM

Welcome. Are you saying he is having problems making it to the bathroom? Was he able to make it in the past? Does he have less control or is he getting to occupied in other activities. Has he been sick or is there a chance he is being bullied?

SarSan87
by New Member on Nov. 29, 2016 at 12:39 PM
He just doesn't go to the bathroom. He won't tell us why he won't go, and whenever I see him holding it I tell him to go use the restroom, he has a fit over it. His teacher hasn't mentioned any bullying, we have constant meetings with her due to his ADHD and he's on an IEP for speech. I just don't know if there's something else.... I'm so lost and his doctors and teachers don't seem concerned but I don't know if any other kids who do this
N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2016 at 11:42 PM
In past has he used the potty or has this been going on for ever ? Maybe he dont know he needs to go. maybe he scared of the potty ? My son is 8 years old but he has autism. We finally just got him potty trained at home and school. 1st he scared of potty. Then took time to understand the feeling and what to do.
Linagma03
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2016 at 11:58 AM
If he had been using the toilet and then just stopped maybe something happened when he was on the toilet. Maybe he was constipated and it hurt so he connected the pain to the toilet or something else with the toilet. Lina was scared for a long time after she tried to get on the toilet once by herself and her butt slipped in and she wasn't able to push herself up and got scared, it took almost a year to get her to even try again without having either a meltdown or an anxiety attack. The other thing I thought was that he is using it as a way to feel in control of at least something in his life. The other is that he knows it upsets you and this is his way of showing you he's upset and knows you can't make him go on the toilet if he doesn't want to. Since he's your step son is he with you guys all the time or do you just have visitation that could be the issue also. Kids get some strange ideas at times whether they are typical or sn.
dawncs
by Dawn on Dec. 5, 2016 at 4:36 PM

Welcome! Have you thought of food allergies based on his feces? It can create problems where he does not know the need to at times. It can also create the problem of forcing it too fast without time to use the bathroom on some issues such as gluten or wheat.

Dawn
Asperger Syndrome Published Author and Blogger
Asperger Syndrome diagnosed May 1997 as an adult
My Author Blog 
My Author Website

Marti123
by Member on Dec. 10, 2016 at 8:12 PM
What kind of issues?

If he is not going regularly, there is a possibility he could be very constipate to the point he is now incontinent of stool & even bladder. Some children get so constipated, they have to miss school and take several days to clean out. Pediatricians in their busy practice can miss it and don't take the time to educate parents.

Not saying that is the problem, but it is far more common that people realize.
Lisa_135_
by Member on Dec. 26, 2016 at 1:46 PM
Reminds me a little of my daughter, she has ADHD too, also suffers incontinence. The doctors thought it was related to the ADHD though eventually there was found some physical issues, few surgeries were done to fix some of the problems but the incontinence was still there. She's now in college and still relying on diapers for urine and bowel accidents cause she can't risk surgery again for things like a colostomy,
Definitely check with the doctor and see if it's a physical problem. If not I'm afraid you will have to take it day by day, I'm sure at one point he will want to make it to the toilet to relieve himself, maybe it's possible to have a toilet regiment of some sorts.
Hope you figure this out,

Quoting SarSan87: My step son has been having issues with relieving his bladder and feces on himself. I am at a loss. I've been in his life since he was 2. There have been some learning disabilities with him, but just with ADHD and speech. Has anyone had these issues as well? He's 7 and his doctor doesn't seem too concerned. We have told the school we want more testing done because of his learning issues and they said it takes at least 6 months to get started with that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)