Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:54 PM
  • 13 Replies

Mobile Photo

Hello everyone! I am new to raising a child with special needs. I have 3 boys ages 10, 7, and 5. My 5 year old son has CAS (childhood apraxia of speech). He was diagnosed in May but we didn't receive word until September. Some days are better than others. Weekly appointments for different therapies. Lucky that my insurance covers most of the cost for therapy.

Just looking to see if there are any other families that are going through the same thing.
by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadyAmaranth
by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 7:04 PM

Hello and welcome aboard!!!

Im the mom of 3 boys as well. Mine are 12, 10, and 9. All have ASD, two have ADHD, and all have mood disorder-nos.
I understand the good and bad days and various appointments. None of mine dealt with Apraxia but have known moms whose kids did.

I'm glad you are here!!

timeywimey
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 7:07 PM
Thank you! Still learning about Apraxia and all it entails. He also has sensory issues.

Hard to be a mom to him sometimes because I can't tell if I'm "spoiling" him like my husband says or just giving him the extra attention that he needs.

Quoting LadyAmaranth:

Hello and welcome aboard!!!

Im the mom of 3 boys as well. Mine are 12, 10, and 9. All have ASD, two have ADHD, and all have mood disorder-nos.I understand the good and bad days and various appointments. None of mine dealt with Apraxia but have known moms whose kids did.

I'm glad you are here!!

babyboxfish
by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:41 PM

welcome

N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:22 PM
Welcome, Im a mom of 2 boys. Jacob is 8 years old. He has autism and in a wheelchair. He has a speech delay. Chase is 5 years old.
jjamom
by Michele on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:09 PM
My son has Down syndrome and apraxia of speech. He is 11. He is verbal, but has moderate to severe articulation issues. He's been in speech therapy since he was almost 3. He also has sensory and feeding issues.
timeywimey
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 11:02 PM
In may Josh only had maybe 2 words. Now he has 40+ but no 2 word phrases yet. Josh has sensory issues as well. He is in speech and occupational therapy. As of right now I don't know if Josh has anything else and his Dr won't do any testing until he is 6.

Quoting jjamom: My son has Down syndrome and apraxia of speech. He is 11. He is verbal, but has moderate to severe articulation issues. He's been in speech therapy since he was almost 3. He also has sensory and feeding issues.
golfqueen123
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2017 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this

My son has Down syndrome and has apraxia of speech as well.  He is almost 10 and I think hes been doing speech therapy since about 3 or 4 I think.  I  have always been told its just a long process and be patient and stick with it.  He had some palate issues that didn't help but it made a difference once we got that repaired and he is doing much better. Strangers are starting to understand him so that makes me happy!  It will improve!!  

jjamom
by Michele on Jan. 19, 2017 at 9:05 AM
Wow, I wonder why the doctor wants to wait until he's 6? That used to be the norm, But I thought they started testing earlier now. It's great that he is getting speech and OT in the meantime.

Quoting timeywimey: In may Josh only had maybe 2 words. Now he has 40+ but no 2 word phrases yet. Josh has sensory issues as well. He is in speech and occupational therapy. As of right now I don't know if Josh has anything else and his Dr won't do any testing until he is 6.

Quoting jjamom: My son has Down syndrome and apraxia of speech. He is 11. He is verbal, but has moderate to severe articulation issues. He's been in speech therapy since he was almost 3. He also has sensory and feeding issues.
timeywimey
by New Member on Jan. 19, 2017 at 11:30 AM
She said that we could test him now but it would take a year to get in and they would suggest putting him in speech and OT so it wouldn't change what we are already doing.

Quoting jjamom: Wow, I wonder why the doctor wants to wait until he's 6? That used to be the norm, But I thought they started testing earlier now. It's great that he is getting speech and OT in the meantime.

Quoting timeywimey: In may Josh only had maybe 2 words. Now he has 40+ but no 2 word phrases yet. Josh has sensory issues as well. He is in speech and occupational therapy. As of right now I don't know if Josh has anything else and his Dr won't do any testing until he is 6.

timeywimey
by New Member on Jan. 19, 2017 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes I've heard it's a long process. It took us a while to get him in speech therapy. He didn't start until last year after he turned 4 so we are a bit behind.

Quoting golfqueen123:

My son has Down syndrome and has apraxia of speech as well.  He is almost 10 and I think hes been doing speech therapy since about 3 or 4 I think.  I  have always been told its just a long process and be patient and stick with it.  He had some palate issues that didn't help but it made a difference once we got that repaired and he is doing much better. Strangers are starting to understand him so that makes me happy!  It will improve!!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)