Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mommas with anxiety or depression?

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 1:57 PM
  • 7 Replies
Any mom's with anxiety or depression?
My daughter's behavior has been worse lately. Not sure if that's why my anxiety has been worse lately. Or if she's possiblyfeeding off my vibe. I actually have a counseling session booked for today for her.

My anxiety has reached an all time high, including having panic attacks.
I had an appointment with a psychologist to get a diagnosis but had to postpone due to insurance. They told me I'd have several visits of testing done, but wouldn't be until April for actual testing. I have heard psychologist dont give meds. My psychologist told me there is a wait list for therapy. Will a psychiatrist give me a diagnosis?
I need help now. My days are just so overwhelming.
Should I seek out a psychiatrist or therapist now? I'm open to coping skills or even meds. Not sure that I want to do talk therapy at this time.
I took an online evaluation. It said I had severe anxiety and moderate depression.
Any advice is appreciated. I want to be at my best for my kids.
by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jjamom
by Michele on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:41 PM
I definitely have anxiety, but have never gotten help for it.

My DD who is 19 started seeing a therapist a few years ago - her senior year in HS. There was really not a wait for it. I took her to a counseling center and she saw a woman who has a masters in family therapy. She didn't start seeing a psychiatrist (who is the only one able to prescribe meds) until she started college and she sees her through the campus health center, but our insurance covers it.

You could possibly wait for the psychiatrist, but in the mean time, maybe seek out counseling? She worked with her on things she could work on without meds to make things easier and more manageable, therefore less anxiety provoking. Our insurance covered these sessions as well.

Good luck to you!
rebecca_new_mom
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I would recommend finding someone to talk to in the interim, while you wait for the diagnosis/appointment. I was able to find a crisis counselor quickly when I needed one. Hugs to you!

Quoting crazy4chapstick: Any mom's with anxiety or depression?
My daughter's behavior has been worse lately. Not sure if that's why my anxiety has been worse lately. Or if she's possiblyfeeding off my vibe. I actually have a counseling session booked for today for her.

My anxiety has reached an all time high, including having panic attacks.
I had an appointment with a psychologist to get a diagnosis but had to postpone due to insurance. They told me I'd have several visits of testing done, but wouldn't be until April for actual testing. I have heard psychologist dont give meds. My psychologist told me there is a wait list for therapy. Will a psychiatrist give me a diagnosis?
I need help now. My days are just so overwhelming.
Should I seek out a psychiatrist or therapist now? I'm open to coping skills or even meds. Not sure that I want to do talk therapy at this time.
I took an online evaluation. It said I had severe anxiety and moderate depression.
Any advice is appreciated. I want to be at my best for my kids.
Sassym0m24
by Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:35 PM
I'd call the number on the back of your insurance card and ask what they will cover.

Then ask your primary care physician to refer you.

Psychiatrists(the only ones who can prescribe meds) or psychologists have helped those I know.

Psychologists can sometimes refer you so you can get meds, while seeing them for the therapy.

maureen813
by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Psychiatrists or nurse practitioners can and do diagnose and provide psychopharmacology support. Therapists * sometimes referred to as counselors or clinicians can provide psychotherapy or talk therapy which for a mood disorder, such as generalized anxiety, can respond well to development of healthy coping strategies to manage symptoms.
crazy4chapstick
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 4:24 PM
Thank you ladies for all the advice, tips and support. It really helped me. I did find another provider today. Unfortunately my insurance has changed. So they are wanting me to pay out of pocket until I reach my crazy deductible (for any typeof dr visit). So I can't go in until the 24th when I get money. Our health insurance plan was so great last year. It's terrible that they changed it on us. We knew that it had changed but didn't realize how bad it was until I had to pay $100 out of pocket the other day at the dermatologist. So frustrating.
mrsd2013
by Member on Mar. 17, 2017 at 10:35 PM
I have anxiety. And have had depression at periods of my life. I can only share my personal experience. I am on a daily antidepressant. It is a low dose mild form used for chronic migraines. I have stress headaches that become severe migraines one to two times a month. I find that have my own personal interests, alone time, crafts, or time for self care really helps me. It helps me more then being social. A large self care item for me is exercise. If I exercise four to five times a week my anxiety lowers dramatically. Eating healthy(ish), showering (yes, I actually have to list it), etc are things that make me feel better.

The first step is definitely talking to a doctor though! It will be a journey. A better you doesn't happen over night.

Good luck.
Linagma03
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 3:41 PM

I have what my therapist refers to as bi-polar 2. She explained that it is where the person is bi-polar but the manic episodes are intense but short lived but the depression that comes afterwards is even worse than the manic part and usually lasts for weeks or months before the manic cycle begins again. For me I saw a psychologist, therapist and psychiatrist over the years. Psychologist and therapist had the guidance of a psychiatrist if meds were needed. Usually if they think that you need meds they want talk therapy along with it to help you learn coping skills and hopefully be able to get off the medication. 

I see a Nurse Practioner of Mental Health and she is able to prescribe medication just like a doctor. When I began seeing her I was taking 5 or 6 different medications because the pharmacutical companies hadn't come out with the new ones that took the place of several of the ones I was on. Over time she was able to get me to just one medication that controls my bi-polar and anxiety. I still get some anxiety and depression break throughs but when that happens and lasts more than 3 days I will call her and go in to talk to her for several sessions just to get things back under control. It took about 5 years of seeing her weekly to bi monthly before she felt that I was at the point where I only needed to see her when I felt I needed to, or if I needed refills I had to spend at least 30 minutes with her. Now I am at the point where I see her once a year for an hour and she gives me a years worth of refills. 

Talk therapy is really a good thing as you can say things that you usually keep to yourself which is one way of helping you, also if it is a good therapist they will help you learn coping skills that maybe you didn't know. My NP helped me find coping skills that fit with my family dynamics.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)