Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I help her?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2017 at 9:43 AM
  • 8 Replies
We are going to Disney World in Florida soon. We travel a lot, but we have never gone anywhere like this. She is almost 3 and has moderate-severe autism and severe SPD. She is sensitive to just about everything, but she has 1 word and that word is "MICKEY!" She seems to understand we are seeing Mickey Mouse to the best of her abilities. And all she has been doing is saying Mickey over and over and over again. But she is so sensitive to sound and smell. How do I help her? Thanks.
by on Aug. 22, 2017 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
autismpirate
by New Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 2:27 PM

talk to the people at disney, they actually have services for kids with autism and are very accomodating.  Early entry, ahead of lines, etc.

NearSeattleMom
by on Aug. 22, 2017 at 4:30 PM

You can plan ahead.  I like the Unoffiical Guide to Walt Disney World.  Plan everything in advance so you can control as much of the experience as possible.

Get there very very early to avoid the worst of the crowds.  Take a nap mid-day.

Good luck.

MixedCooke
by Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 8:31 PM
Go to guest services for their special pass and also do Fastpasses for Must-sees for her. You will pretty much stay in the Fantasyland area so just hop the train at the front right over there. Check the times for the meet and greet with Mickey otherwise Minnie and Daisy are in the big top circus tent and Goofy and Donald are on the other side. Must dos are Dumbo, Winnie the Pooh, Little Mermaid and Its a Small World. Stay away from the race car one because the sound and smell is awful. The Teacups may be okay if you don't spin them too much. Adventure Island has Carpet ride, the river boat ride but the pirate one has cannon sounds that might be too much. Tomorrowland is pretty much a no-go overall. I highly recommend the Liki Tiki Resort as it has a waterpark right there if yours loves being in the water. Check Travelzoo for discounted rates.
luvnoah10
by Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 7:38 AM

Definately stop at guest services for special needs pass. Will allow your whole family to bypass the lines (usually they have you go through the exit or handicap entrance). My son has high functioning autism but we still get the pass for all the amusement parks we go to since he has difficulty standing in line.  Also maybe noise cancelling headphones may help. Take her favorite toy or stuffed animal too. 

lissadavis
by Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 2:32 PM
Definitely headphones, and does she have a bracelet or necklace for a comfort object. If not train her on one asap. This is a fidget she can touch when she gets stressed.
7timesfun
by on Aug. 23, 2017 at 7:20 PM
Quoting lissadavis: Definitely headphones, and does she have a bracelet or necklace for a comfort object. If not train her on one asap. This is a fidget she can touch when she gets stressed.

She has a fidget cube and one of those necklaces you can chew on.
romangio12
by Member on Aug. 27, 2017 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Idk! Stay calm and stress free as possible so she can be too. I know itz not az simple as that tho.
jjamom
by Michele on Aug. 28, 2017 at 12:05 PM
Maybe make a social story for her so that she has an idea of some of the things she may see and experience while there. That way she won't just think you're going to meet Mickey and be totally overwhelmed with everything else.

Definitely go to Guest services and take advantage of the resources available there.

Hope you all have a great trip!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)