Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you handle rudeness towards your kid?

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2017 at 3:35 PM
  • 16 Replies
I am a nice person. Borderline doormat material. My mother even says I'm too nice.

But I lost my lid today because of a nurse at a doctor office.

My 3 year old was running up and down the hallway and my husband I were both chasing him and trying to keep him as entertained as possible during an almost 2 hr wait.

The whole time this nurse is giving us nasty looks.

DH goes to take back 3 yo Ds for a hearing check - I return to exam room with 5 yo DS to wait it out - said nasty nurse bursts into the room and yanked the plug out the electrical chair that raises up down and snaps "this is not a toy"

NOBODY WAS EVEN SITTING in it.

The doctor finally walks in - by this time I could feel my blood boiling and I told him "the nurse with short ugly hair cut and cheap dye job has an attitude problem and should not being working in a facility that deals with children in any capacity. I relayed the chair scenario and told him that my son has 2 speeds. Fast and faster. We are in the process of having him tested for ASD,ADD, SPD,ODD, and every other D in the medical book and are doing the very best we can to cope in the meantime"

He said he would handle it. Apologized profusely.

But, mamas- how on earth do you handle the haters? Or just ignorant idiots?
by on Nov. 24, 2017 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvnature
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2017 at 7:57 PM
1 mom liked this

do what you did. That was the smart move on your part. Tell the doctor you saw about his employee and let him deal with it. If this does not work, just go over the doctor's head and file a complaint with the administration of the facility you were at. 

What I do when people are rude or mean towards my daughter, I have learned to speak up and tell the people that unless they have walked in my shoes and had one of my days, they can not say a damn thing about my kid's behaviour. 

Iceandsnowflake
by Member on Nov. 25, 2017 at 8:40 PM
Good to hear.

My husband thought I had lost it. I lost my lid.

Quoting luvnature:

do what you did. That was the smart move on your part. Tell the doctor you saw about his employee and let him deal with it. If this does not work, just go over the doctor's head and file a complaint with the administration of the facility you were at. 

What I do when people are rude or mean towards my daughter, I have learned to speak up and tell the people that unless they have walked in my shoes and had one of my days, they can not say a damn thing about my kid's behaviour. 

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2017 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I haven't had to deal with that yet, thankfully.

My son is 8 years old, nonverbal, and autistic.

All of the nurses at his doctor's office are amazing. He loves them all, and they are super nice. They always ask if there is anything that he needs or wants when we are there.  I've seen them interact with other kids and they aren't this sweet with just my son, they are like this with everyone.

luvnature
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2017 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this

You are very lucky. 

All of the nurses at his doctor's office are amazing. He loves them all, and they are super nice. They always ask if there is anything that he needs or wants when we are there.  I've seen them interact with other kids and they aren't this sweet with just my son, they are like this with everyone.

Iceandsnowflake
by Member on Nov. 26, 2017 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this
The incident occurred at a ENT's office.

Quoting Basherte:

MomLeslieM
by on Nov. 27, 2017 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

A TWO HOUR WAIT???  That in itself is unacceptable if they didn't tell you when you checked in how late the doctor was running ESPECIALLY when you have two children 5 and under!!  You were right to tell the doctor and if you need to return to that particular ENT you should definitely ask how long of a wait there will be and if it's too long take the kids somewhere else to wait - or even call ahead to check in and wait at home (some doctors offices will let you do that if you make arrangements in advance because of the difficulty of waiting). 

As to handling the haters, for the most part if it's someone that is a stranger that I'm not going to run into again (like in the grocery store), I ignore.  If it is someone I will be dealing with on occasion like the nurse or someone that I have to see regularly (like someone at church that is disapproving or somewhere like that), I remind them that my child has special needs and he's doing the best he can in the situation and so am I so please try to understand and then...ignore.   To be a mama of a special needs kiddo means growing a thick skin unfortunately....

Iceandsnowflake
by Member on Nov. 27, 2017 at 8:54 PM
Yes. 2 hrs total spent there.

My 5 yo first received his weekly allergy shot.

Then we had to wait to go back to the exam room for the 3 yo' s follow up (for his THIRD set of ear tubes ) and then he had his hearing checked - that was when when the nurse barged in and unplugged the chair nobody was sitting in... then we had to wait for the Dr review the hearing results.

Quoting MomLeslieM:

A TWO HOUR WAIT???  That in itself is unacceptable if they didn't tell you when you checked in how late the doctor was running ESPECIALLY when you have two children 5 and under!!  You were right to tell the doctor and if you need to return to that particular ENT you should definitely ask how long of a wait there will be and if it's too long take the kids somewhere else to wait - or even call ahead to check in and wait at home (some doctors offices will let you do that if you make arrangements in advance because of the difficulty of waiting). 

As to handling the haters, for the most part if it's someone that is a stranger that I'm not going to run into again (like in the grocery store), I ignore.  If it is someone I will be dealing with on occasion like the nurse or someone that I have to see regularly (like someone at church that is disapproving or somewhere like that), I remind them that my child has special needs and he's doing the best he can in the situation and so am I so please try to understand and then...ignore.   To be a mama of a special needs kiddo means growing a thick skin unfortunately....

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2017 at 7:07 PM

I don't know what an ENT office is.

Quoting Iceandsnowflake: The incident occurred at a ENT's office.
Quoting Basherte:

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2017 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I am. I feel very blessed.

everyone that meets my son seems to fall in love with him.

Quoting luvnature:

You are very lucky. 

Iceandsnowflake
by Member on Nov. 28, 2017 at 9:12 PM
Ear Nose and Throat doctor. Poor kid is on ear tubes set number 3.

Quoting Basherte:

I don't know what an ENT office is.

Quoting Iceandsnowflake: The incident occurred at a ENT's office.

Quoting Basherte:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)