Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Neuropsych Tests

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2018 at 11:16 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hello! I'm a mom of 2 boys and a stepmom of 3 children. I joined Cafemom recently and another member recommended I joined this group. My 7-year-old son, Tyler, has been diagnosed with autism about 3 years ago. His teacher is also suspecting some learning disabilities and our neurologist is requesting a neuropsychology test. We go in April. Has anyone's children had these tests? I have done some research but I'm still very uncertain on what this test is and Tyler does better when unfamiliar things are explained to him beforehand, but at the moment, I'm not even sure of what the test is.

Thank you in advance!

by on Feb. 25, 2018 at 11:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jjamom
by Michele on Feb. 26, 2018 at 4:29 PM
Welcome to the group. I'm sorry, I don't know much about those tests. What kind of testing did they do for the original dx?
blendedfamily7
by New Member on Feb. 27, 2018 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Mainly, there was a lot of observing done, both in the classroom and outside the classroom. His doctors would come into the classroom and watch how Tyler played with other students (or not play with other students, as that is often the case) and how he worked. Outside the classroom, we would take Tyler to the doctor's office and they would observe him play individually or some days how he interacted his step-brothers or his father.

Quoting jjamom: Welcome to the group. I'm sorry, I don't know much about those tests. What kind of testing did they do for the original dx?

kinshipcaremama
by Member on Mar. 8, 2018 at 5:07 PM
My 9 year old 3rd grader adopted from foster care just finished the nueropsych evaluation. He had tests for IQ and executive functioning, ADHD, etc. I just got the report and while helpful it didn't really tell us anything new.

Just tell your ds that he's going to take different tests to help figure out how his brain works. Do NOT call it "games" because games are usually fun and testing isn't all fun. Once he's done you will probably come back for a parent meeting to discuss the results and answer any new questions the doctor has. You will then receive the final report. Mine came in the mail. It should have test results and recommendations to help the child. You can then share the results with the school, doctors, ect.
foreverbeach11
by New Member on Mar. 12, 2018 at 4:39 PM

A neuropsych test can sound very scary.  You can think of it as many different tests rolled up into one that is called a neuropsychological evaluation/test.  The examiner will assess your child in many different situations.  This evaluation will be very helpful when it comes to your son's needs when he is in school.  It will give a better understanding of how to proceed with learning.  It can be a very long day for your son so he will need to eat a good meal beforehand and get plenty of rest.  Consider assuring him that it is nothing to be afraid of and do his very best. Some of the testing may be specific to your son and will possibly give a clearer diagnosis for your son. Some of the testing may be done by computer or paper and pencil.  You may want to consider contacting the facility that will be doing the testing.  This way they can give you a better understanding of what will occur during the evaluation.  Much success to you and your son. 

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2018 at 12:46 AM
My daughter had a neuropsych test done last summer. She had to go to the psychiatrist's office twice. They did a bunch of short tests. I will not lie, they are exhausting. The first day was 5 hours, the second was 3. They tested language skills, logic, reasoning and I can't remember what all else. In the end we ended up with a very comprehensive report that the school was able to use for 504 and IEP meetings.
MichelleLZ
by Member on Apr. 12, 2018 at 10:25 AM
My son had them done. They’re a lot of word situation/ problem solving sort of questions to see how his brain works. In his case it showed his ADHD and dyslexia.
Seminarynurse
by New Member on May. 11, 2018 at 3:10 PM

Both of my kids have had neuropsych testing. It consisted of three appointments. The first was parents and the psychologist. We went over our concerns, answered her questions etc. The next appointment was with the psychologist and an assistant and our child. They administered many different learning assessments during this time and talked with them. It lasted about 6 hours with breaks. 

Then we had another appointment a few weeks later to find out the results and received a written copy of the assessment and recommendations. Hope that helps?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)