Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Share your adoption stories!

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 10:19 PM
  • 52 Replies

Tell us about your adoption journey!

by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meam4444
by on Aug. 5, 2011 at 2:05 PM

I can't wait to read these!

meam4444
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Bump for stories!

harmony7
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2011 at 9:18 AM
2 moms liked this

Okay here goes for the first one- We always wanted a large family and after our 7th child was born we wanted more children. We asked the children from time to time if they wanted to adopt and our youngest would answer..why? I am the baby...when he was 12 he came to us and said I want to adopt, I am ready for a little brother. We chose as a family to adopt a waiting child from foster care. We wanted a boy since they seem to languish longer and without homes more then girls. Also my DH is a stay at home dad and is a wonderful mentor to young men. We chose the ages of five and up to a year younger then our youngest son. We were open to 1 to 3 siblings.  Oh and we had a few more stipulations in our ignorance...we wanted children from our county here in Alabama so they could stay close to foster parents and friends and there were certain issues we would not take if the kids had these things because we felt ill equipped ...God has such a sense of Humor!!!....We started the process in April of 2008. Paper work was crazy, finger prints were lost 3 times by DHR, classes were 13 weeks long..but we got it done.  They had a child for us right away but DH said No...he is not ours... he just felt like we were to wait until April of 2009 for some reason....on March 31 I was looking through Heart Galleries like I had so often before and I saw three little boys ages 8, 10 and 12. I listened to their voices and read the profile as well as a couple of other kids and family groups...but I kept coming back to this set of boys. In May I went ahead and inquired about them. My case worker calls the same day and says...do you know these kids? well No...are you sure she says..because they live in this county!...Really???? to keep a long story from being longer...they were put on hold for us and it took a year to work through some therapy they were in and other mental health issues but they came home on April 9, 2010. The adoption was final in September ... they are home, they are safe and they are loved...

A Mom to nine sons and one daughter with six still at home!
meam4444
by on Aug. 9, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Thank you for sharing.  You are one blessed momma.  Wonderful story--your boys were meant to be with you and your family.

Quoting harmony7:

Okay here goes for the first one- We always wanted a large family and after our 7th child was born we wanted more children. We asked the children from time to time if they wanted to adopt and our youngest would answer..why? I am the baby...when he was 12 he came to us and said I want to adopt, I am ready for a little brother. We chose as a family to adopt a waiting child from foster care. We wanted a boy since they seem to languish longer and without homes more then girls. Also my DH is a stay at home dad and is a wonderful mentor to young men. We chose the ages of five and up to a year younger then our youngest son. We were open to 1 to 3 siblings.  Oh and we had a few more stipulations in our ignorance...we wanted children from our county here in Alabama so they could stay close to foster parents and friends and there were certain issues we would not take if the kids had these things because we felt ill equipped ...God has such a sense of Humor!!!....We started the process in April of 2008. Paper work was crazy, finger prints were lost 3 times by DHR, classes were 13 weeks long..but we got it done.  They had a child for us right away but DH said No...he is not ours... he just felt like we were to wait until April of 2009 for some reason....on March 31 I was looking through Heart Galleries like I had so often before and I saw three little boys ages 8, 10 and 12. I listened to their voices and read the profile as well as a couple of other kids and family groups...but I kept coming back to this set of boys. In May I went ahead and inquired about them. My case worker calls the same day and says...do you know these kids? well No...are you sure she says..because they live in this county!...Really???? to keep a long story from being longer...they were put on hold for us and it took a year to work through some therapy they were in and other mental health issues but they came home on April 9, 2010. The adoption was final in September ... they are home, they are safe and they are loved...

Due in October? Join us in October 2011 Babies!  

Amy127
by on Aug. 15, 2011 at 10:01 PM

It started in Feb of 2008. My mom called informing me my cousin was pregnant again and asking if me and my husband would be willing to adopt the baby. (She has some issues and hasnt been able to keep any of her children in the past.)We contacted our local DHS office to begin the process of becoming foster parents. On Mothers Day 2008 was the first time I actually spoke directly with my cousin about us taking in her baby. I knew God was in control when she called me on Mother's Day of all days. He was born Sept 29, 2008, she called us to let us know he had been born but was being transferred due to complications and lack of oxygen. I contacted the caseworker at the hospital to inform them we were interested in taking him in. After a few days of no contact with anyone(they're all 3 hours away from us). i received a phone call that they were keeping him in that county and going for reunification. But they still wanted us to finish the licensing process in case plan A fell through, we were plan B. In Feb 2009 they requested we begin visitations with our son as some things in the service plan were not going well. The moment I met him, I knew he was ours. He locked eyes with me and squeezed my finger tight. We continued visiting weekly with him for 6 weeks, when a meeting was called. They were now asking that me and my husband step back, stop visitations and allow my cousin to continue with reunification. This was so heart breaking for us. We went home and focused on other things.

On his one year birthday, he went home to live with his birth mother!

This lasted 3 months, He was then removed from her home and placed back into foster care in their county. Immediately my cousin called asking if we would again please adopt him. The foster mother called and arranged visitations. We saw him one more time before court. We had already had our hearts ripped out once, we were hesitant this time around. We needed to hear the judge say they were switching the case to adoption. So again, we begin visitations, 3 hour drive each way. He has delays, seizures, and many many medications we had to learn before he could come live with us. We attended his therapy appointments, his neurology appoinments, and had visits at his foster home. It was a very long, hard road...

March 31,  2010 we picked David up to come live with us...FOREVER!

The adoption is still not final but we are alot closer to the end now. We have all the paperwork done, just waiting for our adoption worker to finish typing our homestudy, getting final approval and filing with the courts.

Big twist on this adventure... he went back into fc on Jan 14, 2010, we found out I was pregnant on Feb 14, 2010. So within 6 months we went from no kids to 2 kids. AND...I am pregnant again due in Feb 2012.

gypsy_rose
by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I have not got to adopt yet. We are waiting untill we buy a home to do so BUT I will share the story of MY adoption!

My parents had been trying for years to adopt. They had gone through every single examination, class, inspection and everything. They passed all but because they were foster parents no one would let them adopt as well (In nh at the time you could not foster and adopt). Well one day my Bio mom who had heared they were seeking to adopt and knew of them from around town went into their store and asked if they wanted to adopt me! They said yes so went through all the legal channels for adoption once I was born. I was adopted at 5 days old. I was raised by great people who also had their own biological son. They sold their home so I could have surgery. When I was 22 years old I got in touch with my biological family. They too are great people. I luck out. I get my family and a bonus (the bios) family. I was hell to raise I had a lot of insecurities because of the adoption. I don't know how mom and dad delt with me!

harmony7
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Amy how wonderful to have opened your heart and taken a risk on this precious boy!  The hoops for DHR are so painful for everyone! Bless him! and congratulations on your new babies as well!

Gypsy Rose what a beautiful story! thank y ou for sharing!

meam4444
by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 3:13 PM

What a story Amy....you had me crying.  I am so happy the process is just about finalized. 

meam4444
by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Thank you for sharing your own story. 

Quoting gypsy_rose:

I have not got to adopt yet. We are waiting untill we buy a home to do so BUT I will share the story of MY adoption!

My parents had been trying for years to adopt. They had gone through every single examination, class, inspection and everything. They passed all but because they were foster parents no one would let them adopt as well (In nh at the time you could not foster and adopt). Well one day my Bio mom who had heared they were seeking to adopt and knew of them from around town went into their store and asked if they wanted to adopt me! They said yes so went through all the legal channels for adoption once I was born. I was adopted at 5 days old. I was raised by great people who also had their own biological son. They sold their home so I could have surgery. When I was 22 years old I got in touch with my biological family. They too are great people. I luck out. I get my family and a bonus (the bios) family. I was hell to raise I had a lot of insecurities because of the adoption. I don't know how mom and dad delt with me!

Due in October? Join us in October 2011 Babies!  

billssweety
by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 3:15 PM

My hubs and I had always talked about adoption, from early on in our relationship.  We had always agreed we wanted a larger family and reached a point financially where we felt stable enough to do it.  In October of 2005 we put our home on the market (it wasn't large enough) and began house hunting, in March of 06 it sold and in December of 06 we purchased our new larger, already for foster care because previous owner had done the same, home!!

We began the foster care/adoption process in January of 07', the FFA we chose worked together with adoptions for all interviews and placements.  Our process of getting certified didn't seem to take long, but getting a placement sure seemed too!!  We had requested same sex sibling group, 2-3, ranging from age 5-11 (in school and 1 year younger than our youngest at the time).  We took our first placement July of 07', 2 boys age 5 & 3, we fell in love with them when we met them and our school offered preschool so it would work for us.  I knew within a week these boys were going home, even believed they should have never been detained!!  They went home Thanksgiving weekend.

We took our next placement January 25th, twin 6 year old boys whose birthday was January 31st.  They were detained January 1 and immediately were set to go to an adoption home, mom had 9 other children adopted out and our boys had spent the first 22 months of their lives in foster care before being returned to mom.  Everything moved rather quickly with just a few hiccups, we were hopefully to final adoption in November, but our case worker didn't have our home study done.  We were able to work it out that we finalled on their 8th birthday January 31, 2009.

I would love to do it again, would like 2 little girls, but my hubs is a parti-time stay at home dad and he is ready to go back to work full-time.  We feel a parent should be home, so unless God changes things we are done.  Here is a picture from last November, Zeke -10, Zack - 10, Taylor - 16, Alex - 18.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)