Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

The "Healthy White Newborn" Myth

Posted by   + Show Post

I read a blog with comments that claimed that most adoptive parents want to adopt "healthy white newborns."   The commenter seems to believe that adoptive parents are less apt to adopt older children, transracial children or special needs children.   I strongly disagree.

I ran across some numbers from an August 2008 survey by the CDC and I thought I would share them. (The link to the Wash Post article publishing these numbers is at the bottom of this post)

The 2008 National Survey for Family Growth concluded:

- 600,000 women wished to adopt

- 521,400 survey respondents said they would adopt a black child.

· 351,600 respondents said they would adopt children ages 6 to 12. 

· 185,400 said they would adopt a child age 13 or older. 

-  181,800 respondents said they would adopt children with severe disabilities, and 447,000 said they would adopt two or more siblings at once.

What are your thoughts?  Has anyone else encountered the "healthy white newborn" myth?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/07/AR2008110702807.html

by on Sep. 4, 2011 at 2:38 AM
Replies (11-13):
lifeisajoy
by on Sep. 12, 2011 at 9:26 PM

I adopted 2 older children--time of adoption went through 12 and 14 and both have severe disabilities--one is behavioral and the other is physical-I wanted to sleep at night besides when they are sick of course they are my kids or having rough times--but that is why I did not want a newborn--anything else I did not care about

clvahlberg
by on Sep. 12, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Babygirl just so happened to be a healthy white newborn. But, since we were not looking to adopt, we had no "criteria". We had another situation fall through several years back. A friend of my family was terminally ill. She asked us to adopt her 11 year old hispanic daughter. We said yes and even had a room set up in our home for her and she stayed over spring break with us. Her age and race had no bearing for us.

lilsweetpea708
by Member on Sep. 13, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Quoting Suzy_Sunshine:

The strangest thing about this is that only people who have adopted zero children advance this argument. It is simply bizarre. People who chose not to adopt have no business faulting anyone for the choices they make when they form their family through adoption. Further, if they are concerned that too many older children are waiting to be adopted they need to do something about it.

On the other hand, I think that surveys that ask people to talk about who they would adopt are largely pointless. Many people talk about adopting 'someday'. I dont' want to discourage anyone from adoption but for most people it is simply talk. 

I agree Suzy. I have two healthy white lil boys that were adopted at birth. I guess I'm a monster for wanting that. Doesn't everyone want a healthy baby, isn't that what everyone says when they are pregnant? I am not a drug user, so why just because I am infertile should I have to adopt a baby that is drug exposed? I am white and so is my husband so again why should I "have" to adopt outside of my race. I don't walk around  condeming anyone for their choices with regards to this, i just wonder why it's always an issue and people just can't respect others decisions.

"Further, if they are concerned that too many older children are waiting to be adopted they need to do something about it."

I totally agree with this, said by Suzy. They need to stop talking about  others and adopt the older children.

btw, We were open to a few different races and I would love to adopt special needs one day but I still "wanted" what we were blessed with.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)