Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

Any FosAdopt moms from CA?

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2011 at 12:45 PM
  • 17 Replies

We have an almost 4 yo son that we adopted through DIA. We are going to start the FosAdopt process after the first of the year. We are using an agency to help us with the whole process. After speaking with the agency it just seems like the agency/county process is so different then going directly through the county. It seems much smoother but I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Just wondering if anyone here has done this in my state. I would love to hear your experience so I can set my expectations.....or any advice would be great.

Thank you! 

by on Dec. 8, 2011 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrstefer
by on Dec. 8, 2011 at 1:13 PM

We went throught the county for one and through a private agency for the other three. The agency was so much smoother and easier to work with. We used family connections adoption agency.

The3Vs
by Member on Dec. 8, 2011 at 1:24 PM

That's good to know. It just seemed like it was so much easier to use the agency and I was wondering why more people didn't do it if they wanted to adopt rather then going directly through the county. Especially since there aren't any fees for the agency help.

But then I was thinking I must be missing something here. Thanks for sharing.

We plan to use Hope4Kids because we used them to do a few things for our DIA so we know them and they are great!

Quoting mrstefer:

We went throught the county for one and through a private agency for the other three. The agency was so much smoother and easier to work with. We used family connections adoption agency.

mrstefer
by on Dec. 8, 2011 at 1:36 PM

The only downside of using a agency you are less likely to get a newborn or even a small child. They normally go to county homes.

The3Vs
by Member on Dec. 8, 2011 at 1:42 PM

When I spoke with them I told her we would be interested in younger then 3 because I prefer not to change the birth order and our LO is almost 4. She said that we would actually fit in the 0-2 range then and it could possibly take up to two years to set our expectations, but didn't say it was impossible.

I'll approach that with her again when we speak next week just to be sure. She gave me so much info my head was spinning!

Quoting mrstefer:

The only downside of using a agency you are less likely to get a newborn or even a small child. They normally go to county homes.

mrstefer
by on Dec. 8, 2011 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this
It's no impossible but your chance are higher to get a baby if you go directly through the county. My kids where 5,4 and 1 when we where placed with them through the agency. Our other son was taken from the hospital when we went through the county.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meam4444
by on Dec. 8, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Not here, but here is a bump for mommas to see this post.  :)

TheMrs.S
by Member on Dec. 9, 2011 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this
We are in the process now. We were certified on the 30th and got our first call for newborn twin girls on the 2nd. Granted that is very rare and things ended up not working out with them due to major health issues, it can happen. Our marcher with the agency is very hopeful that we will have placement by Christmas! You can private message me if you have any questions at all.
TheMrs.S
by Member on Dec. 9, 2011 at 10:14 AM
Sorry...I forgot to mention that even though we are with an agency it is a fost/adopt program and our baby will come from the county.
Ashiopeia
by on Dec. 10, 2011 at 8:20 AM
I did in Orange County through an agency. Agencies do normally take harder placements and no, babies aren't hard to place. However, sibling sets are and I got a sibling set of 3. G4, B3 and G8weeks. We finalized a year to the day with the older two and a couple months later with the baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
The3Vs
by Member on Dec. 10, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Thank you so much for the info. It's always nice to have realistic expectations. Sometimes when I have a certain idea in my head I set myself up for failure and I don't want to do that here. I want to just have an open mind and heart and jump in...but the crazy control freak side of me is so curious and just wants to know how it will go....

Quoting Ashiopeia:

I did in Orange County through an agency. Agencies do normally take harder placements and no, babies aren't hard to place. However, sibling sets are and I got a sibling set of 3. G4, B3 and G8weeks. We finalized a year to the day with the older two and a couple months later with the baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)