Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

The baby may have an immune disorder

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 7:41 PM
  • 35 Replies

I took David to the allergist because of his constant colds and ear infections and he is more inclined to believe it is an immune disorder than allergies and that his pneumonia vaccine didn't take. He took five vials of blood,to  test for both allergies and immune issues. We won't know for two weeks, and I'm chewing my nails here. I was not too concerned until one of my co-workers suggested he might have HIV.  Um, thanks for planting that idea in my head. Derek has allergies so I am hoping that is all it is. The allergist started him on Zyrtec and he hasn't had a runny nose since. Meanwhile I'm supposed to keep him away from places like the nurseries at the YMCA and church to cut back on his exposure.

by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 7:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meam4444
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Oh my Malley!  Good luck with the results.  Poor kiddo.  I bet that is hard on him, and to have all that blood taken too.  I have a soft spot for kids and blood.  My older two were very ill last May, and they had to have a few vials taken..and they still talk about it.  It was very traumatic for them (they had just turned four and three).  I hope it is easily manageable once the results come back.  Please keep us posted.

Malley
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Quoting meam4444:

Oh my Malley!  Good luck with the results.  Poor kiddo.  I bet that is hard on him, and to have all that blood taken too.  I have a soft spot for kids and blood.  My older two were very ill last May, and they had to have a few vials taken..and they still talk about it.  It was very traumatic for them (they had just turned four and three).  I hope it is easily manageable once the results come back.  Please keep us posted.

You won't believe it, but he didn't make a peep while he got blood taken, just sat and watched with interest while his blood filled the vials. The nurses couldn't get over it, said he was going to grow up to be a doctor lol.

jen1130
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2012 at 9:42 PM
I will be saying prayers for your little guy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Malley
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Thank you. This blindsided me because I was the one who asked the pediatrician for a referral to get him tested for allergies. Then all of a sudden the allergist started talking about his immune system. We are going to the pediatrician Wednesday so maybe I can get some answers from her.

Quoting jen1130:

I will be saying prayers for your little guy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen1130
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2012 at 11:13 PM
Hopefully they will have some answers with an easy fix.
I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
I am so happy the boys have you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 19, 2012 at 11:37 PM
This exactly. Malley, I will be praying for you too.

Quoting jen1130:

Hopefully they will have some answers with an easy fix.

I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

I am so happy the boys have you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Isaacsmom913
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 11:39 PM
Oh no. Good luck
feralkitten
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 5:59 AM

i hope she wrong this is all this boy needs . there lots of dif kinds not just hiv so don't panic and jump right to that one .

how ever if it if hiv i'm taken it itf from bm and your gona need your other kid tested and to tell your daughter to get tested as well as ALL  of her partners let just hope its not

raleyfamily
by Carla on Feb. 20, 2012 at 7:15 AM

They test mothers automatically now at the hospital for HIV as they give birth.  If she wasn't positive, and I'm sure you would know if she was - it should be in his hospital records - then I don't think you have to worry about that.

jen1130
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2012 at 7:41 AM
I remember when my DD was about 6 weeks old I got a call from the health dep. I was sitting in my car DH was pumping gas I pick up the phone and this lady is telling me that she is calling to talk about DD (FD at the time)HIV test( I didn't even know she had been tested)..... Now I was in a select group of special trained FP AIDS & HIV was a big part of our training,so I knew that there was a good chance she was so young that she would be ok but just hearing the words HIV and your baby in the same sentence is enough to make your would stand still. DD was fine. At 6 weeks they said she had CP and at 6 mo they told me she may be deaf.... Well she just turned 11 on the 9th and she is amazingly healthy NO issues. It just took getting her past the drugs.... Your little guy ( if I remember correctly ) didn't come to you from the hospital so it may just take a while to work out and learn everything you need to know to help him. But I don't think GOD could have found him a better mom to do the job... Just 1 day at a time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN