Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

Need Advice on Blood in Stools

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM
  • 11 Replies

My 17 year old adopted DD is telling me she has blood in her stools.  She is extremely upset and so am I.  I keep telling her to be calm and not to worry about it, but I am.  Any ideas what could be going on?  Of course, I have no family history on her, but either way, I think 17 is too young for anything.  Any ideas?  She has a dr.'s appt. on Wednesday, so I hope we can hold out until then. Do you think I should take her to the ER?

Cheryle A. Roberts

by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kiminsean
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 5:12 PM
Could be a hemorrhoid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Apr. 6, 2012 at 5:27 PM
Do you have any kind of walk-in clinic? Walgreens or urgent care? Usually a lot less expensive than an ER trip and faster as well.

How long has it been going on? Any pain, other symptoms, etc?

I tend to be that mom who takes my kid to the doctor for small things, so take it with a grain of salt, but... I would keep a close eye on it, and if it's still going on Monday I wouldn't wait til Wednesday. If she starts feeling bad or having other issues, I wouldn't wait til Monday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raleyfamily
by Carla on Apr. 6, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Quoting kiminsean:

Could be a hemorrhoid.

That's my guess, too.  Ask her if she's having trouble going to the bathroom, if it's hard.  Ask if the blood is on the outside, and/or dripping into the toilet.  Have her drink a LOT of water and eat a lot of fruit and vegetables.  Watermelon is great as a "laxative".

Don't worry too much yet.  I'm guessing if this is her only symptom, you will clear it up with water and diet.

Carla Raley, wife of Bill, mom of 10, foster mom of more than 50
Visit my blogs for stories of the life of an older mom raising a large family, foster/adoption and homeschooling
http://raleyfamilysfarm.blogspot.com/

http://bookreviewsbycarla.blogspot.com/

R2ch231
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 9:00 PM
Ilask her if it is bright red or dark red. Dark red take her to Er if bright red it could be a a hemeroid (sp) they can happen at just about any age when constipation is a factor.
meam4444
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I have to agree--sounds like a hemorrhoid.  You could call the on-call doctors line to see what they think too.  Hope all is ok!

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Apr. 6, 2012 at 9:54 PM
I've had great luck with on-call doctors in the past. Good idea, Marlena.

Quoting meam4444:

I have to agree--sounds like a hemorrhoid.  You could call the on-call doctors line to see what they think too.  Hope all is ok!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adoptionbound
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:37 AM

could also be a cut. if she has to push real hard to go she may tear and that will cause it to reopen. Does she have IBS? This is real common if she does. I would not get to excited about it till you see what the Dr. has to say. If she feels like it is a cut. I would have her eat fiber bars or oatmeal. That is what I was told to use if this happens. Good Luck

3mom627
by Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Went to the Dr. today, she checked DD out and could not see anything, but stated if it should happen again, she would strongly recommend a sigmoidoscopy.  Doc stated could be a hemorhoid or fissure.   Let's keep our fingers crossed.  

meam4444
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Thanks for keeping us posted--hope it doesn't happen again.  Sounds like your doctor is keeping a good eye on it.

adoptionbound
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Thanks for the update. I've been praying for her. Hope it was a 1 time thing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)