Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

Do I let him breast feed?

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 5:27 PM
  • 8 Replies

My husband and I believed we couldn't have children biologically and worked with an agency to adopt. Shortly after we made a match, I found out I was pregnant! My ds is only 11 months and my dd is 3 weeks. I am breast feeding her. Now my ds tries to find a way to my breast. Our pediatrician think he craves the attention and is advising I also nurse him. I'm torn...he's at an age to start weaning him not to start nursing him. What do you think? 

by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
harmony7
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I would nurse him but then I was a Le Leche league counselor back in the day and I breast fed 7 kids until they self weaned. I dont see a problem with it, he will not like it, too much work, he just wants to see what the big deal is.

Pam in Alabama
A Mom to nine sons and one daughter with six still at home!
Malley
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 5:43 PM
I know nothing about breast feeding, but that was my thought too that he just wants what Baby has. Derek was 3 when David was born and we got him a doll so he could have his own baby to care for.

Quoting harmony7:

I would nurse him but then I was a Le Leche league counselor back in the day and I breast fed 7 kids until they self weaned. I dont see a problem with it, he will not like it, too much work, he just wants to see what the big deal is.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
R2ch231
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Like Pam said I would allow him. He may not like the effort of working so hard and if anything it could be curiosity on his part, it will also strengthen your bond with him.
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I also have no experience with breastfeeding... But I do think if your pedi recommends it, there's probably a good reason. Sibling rivalry, natural curiousity, bonding with mom... Some really good things could come out of him trying it just a couple of times. GL!

feralkitten
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 9:55 AM

i don't see a problem with it maybe only set it for once or twice a day mummy time and he prob its more about wanting to be close to you cuddled in

might want to get a nipple shield with him having teeth lol

i cant breast feed

Isaacsmom913
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:32 PM

He may not want to nurse for long-it could very well be he is just curious.  Let him have a try and see what happens-you may enjoy an extended nursing relationship with him and your daughter both!  Good luck.

meam4444
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I would let him nurse.  You could just see how it goes.  Good luck!

MommynMonster
by on May. 28, 2012 at 11:09 AM

How'd it work out? Its a great way to boost his immune system, bond, and helps keep your supply up. Most kids self wean around 2-5 so hes well within the age range

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)