Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

Adoption & Name Change

Posted by   + Show Post

I know most (if not all of us) change our child's last name as part of the adoption process. But I'm curious -- did any of you change any other part of your child's name during adoption? How old was your child at the time of adoption, and did he/she have any input into the name change?

I feel like I'm always seeing/hearing this discussion in adoption circles, and just wondering about our experiences here in this group.

by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 9:42 PM
Replies (31-36):
Tresmom10
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:37 PM

We changed  our sones name while keeping the family name in it.His first name is Treveon .We called him Tre which is 3 and he is my 3rd child so we decide it fit perfect.My older son has my fathers name as a middle name and we used it also with Tre so he has a bond with his brother  and my father in name.As my son was adopted from a family member His last name was also my Fathers .So we used it as well.We ended it with my husbands last name.So his name is now Treveon **my fathers name** My fathers last name ** his fathers last name LOL long name but he loves it.He never really knew his first name so it works

Mweddle
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:54 PM

yes we changed the names.  We changed our 9 month old dd's name and kept her given first name as her middle name.  Our son was 6 and we gave him the choice and he has decided he wants to change his middle name and last name.  Our dd2 is 3 and we just started calling her the name we chose with her given first name attached to it so it will now be her middle name.  our ds2 we are keeping his first name the same and changing his middle name and last name.  We do have a nickname for him that we call him but its a nickname that will go with his first name.  If we adopt another child...(there is a slim possibility)  then we are going to change her first name and keep her given first name as her middle name.

trayseehalf
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:16 PM

We adopted our daughter now 4 through foster care. She had visits with her birth mom when she was an infant and they were even going to send her back at one time. Well she was born Serenity Shian I think was how she spelled it. I know it wasn't like the city in Wyoming. We changed her name when we adopted her. Her first name is Lillian Lee and our last name. Her birth mom did say something to me once about changing her name. I said Serenity was the name she named her. We wanted to name her a name we had picked out. Lee was the name my Dad went by and it was his middle name. I wanted a little girl that I could name after my Dad. I could only have our son now 13. We didn't know what we were going to have. We had Leonard McCoy picked out for a boy. My hubby is a Star Trek fan. McCoy is also my Grandma's maiden name, my Mom's Mom. Then we had Lillian Lee picked out for a girls name. She's our daughter now. But we can't thank the birth mother enough for having her

singlemotherof8
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I didn't have to change my granddaughters name at all, because her last name was already the same as mine.

mandalyn74
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:54 AM

We adopted my sister's baby and she agreed to name him with the first name we chose but gave him a different middle and last name.  It was technically his legal name for the 6 months until the adoption was final but we enrolled him in daycare and added him to our insurance and everything using the name we were giving him and it was legally changed a a new birth certificate was issued when the adoption was finalized.

strong.emtwife
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 5:23 PM

my little boy is 6 yrs old he was tooken from his parents so he remembers them and i gave him the option to change his name ...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)