Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoption & Name Change

Posted by   + Show Post

I know most (if not all of us) change our child's last name as part of the adoption process. But I'm curious -- did any of you change any other part of your child's name during adoption? How old was your child at the time of adoption, and did he/she have any input into the name change?

I feel like I'm always seeing/hearing this discussion in adoption circles, and just wondering about our experiences here in this group.

by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 9:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
Softball_Mom_4
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 11:22 AM

we keep first only because it was to dang cute and he knew his name he was 14 months old when we adopted 

Luuckymommy
by Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 12:00 PM

We changed the middle name and last name of all our children. James was only a baby so we knew we could have changed it with minimal affect to him but we figured that it was one less thing to add to his story which is a bit complicated:) We also liked the name James. We changed his middle name to Atticus after the noblest man in literature:) The girls being older we gave them the choice to change their middle name and let them choose their new names (with us having veto power of course) Autumn chose Rose and Amber chose Elizabeth which I love! Much improved:) Their first names we did not give them the choice to change because we didn't want them to regret it later and we all liked their first names.

mrsminter
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 4:52 PM

It really depends on what their names are but I do have names picked out just in case. 

Stop by my blog!

January 2009 - TTC 
October 2010 - Unicornuate uterus discovered; infertile. 
February 2011 - DSHS Orientation 
April 2012 - PRIDE Pre-Service Training (27 hours)
April 2012 - First Aid/CPR and Blood Borne Pathogens Training 

clae82
by Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 6:06 PM

When I first begun foster care, I thought I would never changed my child's name if I adopted. Well, never say never :). When my daughter was placed, her name just didn't fit. I had a name I did like and it just seem to fit so I am changing it. She was a newborn so I knew she wouldn't be affected. I had also planned to use the middle name Marie because it was my mother's and it is mine and that just happened to be the middle name they gave her. So that was a win win.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Apr. 17, 2012 at 7:17 PM
Marie is my mom's middle name, too, and the family name I would like to give to a little girl if the opportunity arises... Though like you, I don't necessarily see myself making lots of name changes unless it's needed.

Quoting clae82:

When I first begun foster care, I thought I would never changed my child's name if I adopted. Well, never say never :). When my daughter was placed, her name just didn't fit. I had a name I did like and it just seem to fit so I am changing it. She was a newborn so I knew she wouldn't be affected. I had also planned to use the middle name Marie because it was my mother's and it is mine and that just happened to be the middle name they gave her. So that was a win win.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jnd52304
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:44 AM

I changed the spelling of my sons first name, and changed his whole middle name and last name to ours of course. He was two when the adoption was final so he didnt really know any different and we wanted him to have a family name.

Amy127
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:13 PM
My Parents changed one of their adopted childrens middle name. It was Edward but my dads name is Edgar. So they changed my brothers middle name to Edgar.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elisesmom922
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I was adopted when i was 9, and my name changed. I liked that I got to pick it. My name was Trixie and I picked Tracy, kept Marie as a middle name though.

jen1130
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Our first AD was Savanara but we didn't know her name until she was 6 weeks old. We had been calling her Savanna.... So close right! So savanna it is.
Then our new son wanted new names they were adopted at 9 & 3.
Hunter went to Nicholas Alexander and Damon went to Isaac Michael (was his middle name) we added Murphy. So we have Isaac michael Murphy and our last name.
It took about 2 weeks to get used to it. Our oldest AD kept her first & middle name.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Apr. 20, 2012 at 5:16 PM
How crazy that the name you gave her was so close to her birth name! Seems like it was meant to be.

Quoting jen1130:

Our first AD was Savanara but we didn't know her name until she was 6 weeks old. We had been calling her Savanna.... So close right! So savanna it is.

Then our new son wanted new names they were adopted at 9 & 3.

Hunter went to Nicholas Alexander and Damon went to Isaac Michael (was his middle name) we added Murphy. So we have Isaac michael Murphy and our last name.

It took about 2 weeks to get used to it. Our oldest AD kept her first & middle name.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)