Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

Adoption

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 12:08 PM
  • 7 Replies
So my husband and I are considering adopting with in the next 2 years how do we even go about starting the process ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Isaacsmom913
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 12:33 PM

First you have to decide what kind of adoption are you seeking--private, foster parent, or international.

If private you need to contact an agency or facilitator to find out what their fees and requirements are, then contact an attorney to find out how much their fees will be if they aren't included in an agency fee.

If  foster parent it wuold be the same as above.

We were totally unprepared so ours was a total surprize--so I commend you for being as prepared as possible!

jen1130
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 1:20 PM
Foster to adopt most of the time the fees are very little. We paid dr visit co pays and fingerprint's. First aid and CPR.
We had to go to classes for 10 weeks.
We adopted 4 kids from foster care. 1 foster to adopt. She came home from the hospital at 48 hrs old with our family and was adopted 15 mo later. The next 3 were siblings placed straight adopt. They were in foster care and when they were available for adoption they were placed with us and the adoption was 5 months later.
Older child adoptions are ok for straight adopt but I would not recommend it for an infant from CPS.
Good luck with what ever you do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Apr. 22, 2012 at 3:02 PM
Susan and Jen gave great summaries of the domestic options. :-) The only thing I'd add is that you can usually find information about foster care adoption on your state's website.

Good luck, and welcome to the group.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrsmerz88
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:03 PM
See its not like we can't have kids of our own it's we want to adopt and have biological children is there an age requirement I am 23 he is 30
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Age requirement also depends on the type of adoption, but there usually are at least minimal requirements around your age and also the amount of time you've been married. In my state, foster parents must be at least 21 years of age and have been in a stable relationship status (married, divorced, single, whatever) for at least 2 years.

I'm wondering if anybody can recommend a book that gives a general overview of adoption and all the different routes? It sounds like something along those lines would be very helpful, since you're just at the beginning of your research...

MamaEngineer
by Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Creating A Family website has been a great resource for me as I explore issues about adoption. If you want to explore international, domestic infant and foster-adopt there are simplistic charts that summarize some of the requirements: http://www.creatingafamily.org/adoption/charts.html.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 23, 2012 at 7:11 AM

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Age requirement also depends on the type of adoption, but there usually are at least minimal requirements around your age and also the amount of time you've been married. In my state, foster parents must be at least 21 years of age and have been in a stable relationship status (married, divorced, single, whatever) for at least 2 years.

I'm wondering if anybody can recommend a book that gives a general overview of adoption and all the different routes? It sounds like something along those lines would be very helpful, since you're just at the beginning of your research...

Believe it or not, one of the most informative and best adoption books we read was : Adoption for Dummies. 

OP- what kind of adoption is on your heart? This will be the first question you need to ask yourself. After that, the rest will fall into place since you will begin to earnestly seek out information about that process. 

I can tell you that for us, the age requirement was 30. We adopted from China. The process was 2 years when we adopted our dd 5 years ago, but the current process is almost 6 years. 

Good luck!

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)