Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

MOTW... mommy2kaelynn!

Posted by   + Show Post

This week's Mom of the Week is... (4/23-4/29)

To get started...

What is your name?

How many kids do you have, and what are their ages?

If you're a member of the adoption "triad", what role are you? (Amom, bmom, or adoptee?)

If not, what has been your experience with adoption?

Do you have any pets?

What are your hobbies?

Any group member can add to this post by asking your questions for mommy2kaelynn, and she will be stopping by to answer them throughout the week. This is our chance to get to know another group member just a little bit better. :)

by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:10 PM
Replies (11-20):
meam4444
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Oh how I love Broadway shows!

Which one is your favorite which you have seen?

meam4444
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:03 AM

What photography tip would you give us moms when capturing pics of our little ones?

meam4444
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:04 AM

What is your favorite thing to bake?

mommy2kaelynn
by Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Thanks! We love them, and their names just fit. My husband usually comes up with a bunch of names and then we pick the best one together, but Cleo was because she already had been named Cleonna, and answered to Cleo, but we had friends who had recently had a baby girl names Cleonna, and we just couldn't do that! So I came up with CleoCatra and Puck, well, he is just Puck!!! All of our pets are rescues, and they are SPOILED rotten!!!

As to the most incredible place I have ever traveled, it is a toss up between Seoul, Korea & London, England.

Seoul is amazing!! There is this mix of ancient architecture right in the middle of a high rise complex, things have just modernized and grown all around this old, beautiful stuff. The temples, gardens, the museums, palaces, etc. We spent 10 days there and I could easily go back and spend months and still not see everything there is to offer! 

London is also amazing, we actually traveled outside of London to Bath - and that was a truly awe-inspiring day. To see these ancient bath houses and eat in a home that has existed for more than 500 years, that was just phenonomenal! I want to live in London someday, or close-by. Again, the old achitecture, the history, it's amazing. I loved seeing Westminster Abbey - we even attended a Christmas Eve service there.  

We saw so much, between the two, and I could just go on and on!

Quoting mcginnisc:

I LOVE the cats' names! Those are so great! 

What is the most incredible place you have traveled? 

mommy2kaelynn
by Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I wish, but we are done. Unless we get a sibling call, we have decided that our daughter will be an only child. Partly because we travel internationally A LOT, and it is much easier with only one child (plus our DD is a GREAT traveler, who knows if we'd get that lucky again!) but mostly because we feel that we can give more to her if she is the only one - more time, a better education, more life experiences.

If we ever did all of a sudden decide to adopt again, we would almost definitely go back to S. Korea, for another little girl - DD REALLY wants a baby sister!!!

There are days I REALLY want another baby, but I have some medical issues which would make caring for 2 properly difficult. 

Quoting mcginnisc:

Do you have plans to adopt again? If so, will it be another IA? 

mommy2kaelynn
by Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I can't say that I have a favorite book. I LOVE to read, and I am open to almost anything! I am a Nora Roberts fan, but it has to be her ghost/supernatural/mystery books - the In the Garden Trilogy, The Three Sisters Trilogy, etc. 

I LOVED the Hunger Games series - even though I tried hard not to read them, my book club read the first one, I gave in, and got totally hooked!

I recently read ROOM - which was very good, not a happy book, but very well written, and couldn't put it down!

I also really love - Barbara Michaels & Elizabeth Peters. I have many more authors I enjoy, but can't remember any off the top of my head!

Quoting mcginnisc:

What is your favorite book?

mommy2kaelynn
by Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I have a lot of favorites - but I think if I had to choose, it would be Lion King. I cry everytime I watch the animals process into the theatre!

I also LOVED Phantom of the Opera, and Les Miserables. Oh, and Avenue Q was SOOOO funny!!!

I have also seen Cats, and A Chorus Line. 

There are more - less "musical" but still broadway shows - Once Upon a Mattress, still a musical, just not AS musical as today's current ones! is AWESOME! And Arsenic and Old Lace was so much fun! 

Hopefully this year I am going to get to see Wicked - FINALLY! I read the book, and am addicted to the Broadway Soundtrack to it, so I really want to see it!

Quoting meam4444:

Oh how I love Broadway shows!

Which one is your favorite which you have seen?

mommy2kaelynn
by Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Use natural light as much as possible, with no flash - flash bleaches everything out, and messes with skin tones!

Get in CLOSE - get those details - tiny baby feet and hands, their ears, their eyes, nose and mouth, but make sure you are not cropping out fingers, toes or the top of the head! especially if you are doing a full body shot!

Take advantage of their 'sleepy', 'milk drunk' periods when they are super tiny - you can pose them easily and get some truly precious photos!

Even if you only use a "point and shoot" camera - LEARN how to use it - read the manual, practice in the lighting you will use for most of your photos, learn about ISO, F-Stops (if you have a DSLR), and White Balance. 

Take LOTS of photos - the beauty of digital is that you can shoot 400 photos and you might get 20-40 really great shots.

Don't forget that "snapshots" versus portraits are still improtant - they capture the every day, the things we will forget over time - like keeping a journal of their cute words, phrases or habbits!

I also highly recommend having a professional do photos at least 1x per year, you pay for amazing portraits, and they will be true keepsakes! Make sure that the whole family is photographed, not just the baby/children.

Get out from behind the camera and make sure YOU are in some of the photos - especially for important dates - birthdays, holidays, etc. They are only little for such a short time, and once the moment is gone, you can't go back - you want to have proof (and memories) of you and your child from those ocassions!

sorry - I know that was more than one - but you hit my passion, so I HAD to respond properly!!!! :)

Quoting meam4444:

What photography tip would you give us moms when capturing pics of our little ones?

mommy2kaelynn
by Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I have 3 favorites - all family recipes!

My Mom's Medieval Manchett Bread, her Washington Cookies, and her Cottage Cheese bread.

But I love to bake fancy cupcakes and cakes too!

Quoting meam4444:

What is your favorite thing to bake?

mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 24, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Quoting mommy2kaelynn:

Thanks! We love them, and their names just fit. My husband usually comes up with a bunch of names and then we pick the best one together, but Cleo was because she already had been named Cleonna, and answered to Cleo, but we had friends who had recently had a baby girl names Cleonna, and we just couldn't do that! So I came up with CleoCatra and Puck, well, he is just Puck!!! All of our pets are rescues, and they are SPOILED rotten!!!The Cleocatra name made me giggle. It is so creative and so fitting for a cat! 

As to the most incredible place I have ever traveled, it is a toss up between Seoul, Korea & London, England.

Seoul is amazing!! There is this mix of ancient architecture right in the middle of a high rise complex, things have just modernized and grown all around this old, beautiful stuff. The temples, gardens, the museums, palaces, etc. We spent 10 days there and I could easily go back and spend months and still not see everything there is to offer! That is the way I feel about China! Sooo much to see and so breathtaking as welll. 

London is also amazing, we actually traveled outside of London to Bath - and that was a truly awe-inspiring day. To see these ancient bath houses and eat in a home that has existed for more than 500 years, that was just phenonomenal! I want to live in London someday, or close-by. Again, the old achitecture, the history, it's amazing. I loved seeing Westminster Abbey - we even attended a Christmas Eve service there.  Heath traveled there a couple of years ago for business and he was not impressed. LOL...He LOVES Belgium and Australia the most..he wasn't impressed with Ireland...won't stop me from traveling to either place one day though. LOL

We saw so much, between the two, and I could just go on and on!

Quoting mcginnisc:

I LOVE the cats' names! Those are so great! 

What is the most incredible place you have traveled? 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN