Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

OT....Sofa covering

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:30 PM
  • 5 Replies
Our sofa set has had a nice long life and needs to be retired but I can't see getting a brand new set while the kids are so young. I've been looking at covers, but don't know what's best- the kind that stretches over or the kind that is tied on. I don't want to get just a throw. Any suggestions?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
underHISwing
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I like the looks of a stretch on one better... I know the tie on ones can become all cockeyed.  I'm not sure how often that happens with the stretch on ones, or if it's more or less frequent than the tie on ones.   I have seen on some blogs where they've done a partial upholstery. it's part slip cover, part fixed.  If you could do this, you could even use something like painters drop cloth to keep it inexpensive, I think it'd be the better route.

meam4444
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I think when I was a kid, my mom just used the stretchy bed sheets for our couches.  Of course, it would depend on how big your couch is though.  I guess I have never used any in my home now--we have a leather couch which is amazing (plus we added a 5 year protection plan on it...so any knicks or marks within a five yera time period are fixed free!).

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:28 PM
I have had terrible luck with the elastic kind getting stretched out. :-( Maybe the suggestion of partially attaching it would help with that?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Isaacsmom913
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I hear ya!  Our 10 year old set is dying a SLOW death--won't ever buy that "fluffy" back cushions again.  So I'm in the same boat!  Hopefully we can both come up with an idea!

mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:04 PM

No clue... we are still chillin' on the couches my ILs gave us 6 years ago when they moved to FL. They got them when we were dating in HS! They are over 20 years old now. I love my side of the couch- it is perfectly molded to my hiney.. I will cry when we buy new couches and I have to "break it in". LOL 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)