Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoption Celebration....

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:46 AM
  • 10 Replies

We have adopted 1 child recently and will finalize on our 2nd child in a couple of weeks.  We are going to have an adoption celebration so that all of our friends and family can come meet our lil guys and we have a reason to have a big get together!  Some people have asked us where we've registered at.  Well we haven't actually.  So I'm really stuck on what to do.  They boys are both 2.  Do we register somewhere with things that we need?  If so, how do we let people know without it seeming like we are seeking gifts (we most definitely are not!)?  And if we don't and people want to give them gifts, how do we tell them not to?  I generally go along the lines of 'don't disrespect someone by refusing a gift they chose for you', but feel so odd about this situation.  Also, one more thing to add...most people know that one of sons has autism and needs some special educational and sensory stuff beyond the 'norms' and that the other one is delayed.  Both have to have special services, which are costly.

What are your thoughts?  I don't want to offend people!

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:36 AM

Well, take this with a grain of salt...

We did not register anywhere. I felt the same way. If people wanted to give a gift, that was great- if not, that was great too. My BIL/SIL threw us a "welcome home party" when our daughter came home from China. They did a drop in party that lasted over a span of 3-4 hours and if I remember correctly, they put down that we did not register anywhere and gifts were not expected. Naturally, all the people that came were so excited as they had waited with us for all those years brought us gift cards and other little gifts for Lilly since she was 17 months old. 

I would state that gifts are not expected and just let people do what they would like to do. 

Congrats on finalizing!!!

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

Amy127
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:44 AM
Congrats on the adoptions! I would not register anywhere or expect gifts. If they ask what you need or the boys would like them offer a suggestion but I would not register. Just my opinion though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
disneymom2two
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:13 AM
1 mom liked this

My MIL threw me a shower when we adopted our daughter from China.  I registered.  If I was uncomfortable and felt that people would think that was asking for gifts, I'd only tell them if they asked.  Personally I think its wrong to tell someone not to give you a gift.

jen1130
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:28 AM
I did not register any place but we did get gifts. Clothes toys and religious items oh and jewelry.
I agree with the pp if there are things you need or want register and when people ask tell them you did register and where . Be honest with people when they ask why you did not tell every one. Let them know you were not sure what the proper thing to do is with an adoption party.
I do think it is ok when people ask: )
Congrats and have fun!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I like the idea of giving people ideas if they ask, but just not expecting gifts. It's sort of a tricky situation, because it's not the typical baby shower or welcome-home kind of party... But if people want to show their love and support for your family by purchasing a gift, I think it's lovely. :) Especially since it sounds like it would be helpful, while you are juggling the costs of the boys' services, etc.

I say that now, but I also have to say that when we finalize this summer, I am not really interested in getting any gifts... My son already has too much! So I'll probably be back asking the same question in a couple of months.

Congrats on finalizing your adoptions! :)

Momma2JandK
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Thank you all for your replies!  And yes, our boys have too much already!  They have so many toys that we keep some locked in the closet and rotate them out so that they don't get bored with them!  And clothes, omg we have them two as well as a 2 year old foster that we have clothes coming out of the wazoo! 

jen1130
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:48 AM
2 moms liked this
Something that you may want to ask for is a gift certificate to any portrait studio in your area that you like. One thing we like are pictures. A gift card for frames or craft book supplies.
Scrap books are so fun and the boys can even help: )
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

This is brilliant, Jen!

Quoting jen1130:

Something that you may want to ask for is a gift certificate to any portrait studio in your area that you like. One thing we like are pictures. A gift card for frames or craft book supplies.

aprilz1225
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:05 PM

i would tell the ones who have asked on the gift registry that if they would like to make a gift donation to thier edicational need would be okay.  but people will prob bring a gift. your guest are just excited for you and want to show it. you could put on the invitations that the gift of your suport by attending is gift enough, but if you would like to do something for the boys a donation to thier educational need is just fine. or something like that. idk how to word it. but only if they ask..

jen1130
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Thank you : )
It's the photographer in me.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

This is brilliant, Jen!

Quoting jen1130:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)