Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

QOTD 4/30

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:15 AM
  • 17 Replies

SAHM or WM OR WAHM? 

I'm a SAHM. I worked from the age of 17 until I was 31. I had planned on staying home with Kahlan, but when we lost her, I went back to work to drown my sorrows and to start saving for our adoption. When we brought Lilly home, I was determined to stay home since I knew she needed me and we had to form an attachment. I loved being home with her and then I found out I was pregnant with Karli. I decided I would stay home until the kids were in school full time and then go back to work. 

I love being home with my girls. I do have to say, that I have found a new hobby that I would love to turn into a business though. I know that I don't want to go back to the restaurant business and that being a Personal Trainer would be a dream come true. I have until 2013 until both my girls are in school full time so I willl stay home until then. I'm trying to talk Heath into me getting my certifications in order to become a Personal Trainer and then maybe go back to school for Exercise Physiology. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Malley
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this
That would be great. You'd have more flexibility too arranging your schedule. (No pun intended lol)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Malley
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:26 AM
I teach so I have holidays and summers with the kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Quoting Malley:

That would be great. You'd have more flexibility too arranging your schedule. (No pun intended lol)

Ha ha ha...funny...I think it is something that I would really enjoy too. I love helping people here on CM with their weight loss and fitness goals so I think doing it one on one would be great. Now, I just have to talk the boy into parting with the $400+ for the books and certifications that I need. LOL 

Claire

mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Quoting Malley:

I teach so I have holidays and summers with the kids.

That would be my other ideal- having the summers and breaks with them if I could work at the school in some way. 

Claire

Amy127
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:17 AM
I'm a sahm since July of 2010. I was a workaholic so it was an adjustment but I wouldn't change it. I would hate to miss all my baby's firsts and its also hard for me to trust other people with my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I'm a SAHM since October 2010. We tried both of us working full-time during the first few months of fostering, but it was incredibly stressful... We were still very hands-on with transporting to visits, therapies, and meetings, so it was taking a lot to juggle both of our work schedules. In addition, I ran an after-school teen center so my schedule wasn't all that conducive to getting home in time for dinner/bedtime.

I have liked staying at home a lot more than I expected. I really miss the teen center, but I'm starting to volunteer with my church youth group instead. And we all believe that our FS has made greater strides with his speech and other developmental issues because he's had a consistent stay-at-home parent, so I wouldn't change that for anything.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Quoting Amy127:

I'm a sahm since July of 2010. I was a workaholic so it was an adjustment but I wouldn't change it. I would hate to miss all my baby's firsts and its also hard for me to trust other people with my kids.

I felt the same way! I did not want to miss any of Lilly's firsts or Karli's either...now that they are getting older, it is much easier for me to leave them with other people. 

Claire

mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

I'm a SAHM since October 2010. We tried both of us working full-time during the first few months of fostering, but it was incredibly stressful... We were still very hands-on with transporting to visits, therapies, and meetings, so it was taking a lot to juggle both of our work schedules. In addition, I ran an after-school teen center so my schedule wasn't all that conducive to getting home in time for dinner/bedtime.

I have liked staying at home a lot more than I expected. I really miss the teen center, but I'm starting to volunteer with my church youth group instead. And we all believe that our FS has made greater strides with his speech and other developmental issues because he's had a consistent stay-at-home parent, so I wouldn't change that for anything.

I imagine it was tough to juggle everything! 

Claire

raleyfamily
by Carla on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I'm a stay at home mom and always have been since my first child was born.  I have worked at home off and on by running a day care center at home.  That was nice, and if I ever had to make money again, that's what I would do.  Right now I sell eggs to an organic shop near me where one of my sons work, and I sell stuff on Etsy.  None of that makes much money though.  I am planning on expanding the egg part, but it will be next year before the chicks are old enough to really lay.

Carla Raley, wife of Bill, mom of 10, foster mom of more than 50
Visit my blogs for stories of the life of an older mom raising a large family, foster/adoption and homeschooling
http://raleyfamilysfarm.blogspot.com/

http://bookreviewsbycarla.blogspot.com/

aprilz1225
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I'd hire ya! any time...  that job suits you well! i know how much suport you give me with my weight loss.. THANK YOU!!!!  after summer break i will be looking for a job too. Finding anything that goes around a child/childrens school while hubby works out of town alot, is tuff and when i do find it, it's not worth the gas.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)