Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

Fee For Service-Foster Care?

Posted by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:23 AM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

So hubby and I attended orientation last night for foster care-turns out they are more an agency who funnels foster children already in placement FOR adoption BUT do have respit care and SOME foster care. They also are a fee for service agency even if you do respit care--$500!  Is that normal or should I look into another avenue?

by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on May. 17, 2012 at 8:28 AM

I have never worked with an agency. I've only been licensed directly through the state. But from what I have been lead to understand, by both acquaintances and by agency workers, there are no additional fees through the foster care agencies here... Not sure if that would change if we were looking for a straight adopt placement, but I don't think so.

Is the $500 a one-time fee, or is it every time you have a placement? You have to pay the agency $500 for them to place a child into your home even for respite?

I would definitely look around a little bit more before agreeing to something like that. You could also ask what the fee is for, do they provide you with additional supports or staff in your home to justify that kind of fee?

The thing is, administrative aspects of foster care vary greatly from state to state. So what's true here in northern New England might not be the same for you down in PA. Some states have all FC contracted out to agencies, and some use agencies for only hard-to-place kiddos. Etc. But if you are looking at steep fees for providing foster care, that certainly raises a red flag for me.

Isaacsmom913
by on May. 17, 2012 at 9:47 AM
Its a $50 application fee then when your paper work is complete and you sign the home study you pay rhe $450 balance. They then give your binder to the state agency who ultimately determines placements.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on May. 17, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Interesting. Sounds sort of like a homestudy fee.

We didn't have anything like this. The only cost to be licensed in my state is $49 per person over the age of 18, and that is the cost of the fingerprint cards.

I would at least call a couple of other agencies and find out if this is standard practice in your area. $500 isn't really that much, and maybe with all the state budget cuts... But I honestly haven't ever heard of anyone paying a homestudy fee for foster care or foster adoption before. GL.

jen1130
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2012 at 6:07 PM
That is strange because even if you pay a home study fee the state or county can pay them as part an adoption agreement.
I think it's easier to just us the state or county, then you only need to find time for that worker. If you have private agency they are for you and the state still visits as well ( at least in Texas, Missouri and Florida maybe California) that is a lot of extra work and to be honest it's just more money the state pays out. They get paid much more money than if you just go to the state office.
If it is available in your area.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HousewifeNina
by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Wow.  I cannot believe people would have to pay to do respite care.  Wow.

cnoelc
by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Yeah, that doesn't sound like a great deal at all.  We also licensed directly through our county.  Now, if you had the homestudy done, then wanted to change to a different county or avenue and wanted to use the same homestudy, you have to pay part of the cost back.  That way, people aren't signing up as foster parents just to have the state foot the bill for their homestudies.  But, other than that, I haven't heard of having to pay to be foster parents or respite care.  I have also been told that the only foster/adopt kids available through private agencies are ones that weren't easily placed by the county.  In other words, almost never newborns because newborns are very easy to place, so there's no need to sub-contract through private agencies.  At least, that's how it works here.

Angelicembrace
by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Hmm..I'm not sure..so bump!

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on May. 17, 2012 at 8:40 PM

This is also true in my area, but I know it's not the same everywhere. I know another FM here on CM who works with a private agency through which the county places all kids ages 0-3. I think in some states, almost everything has been contracted out to private agencies, so they would have to place younger kids.

Quoting cnoelc:

Yeah, that doesn't sound like a great deal at all.  We also licensed directly through our county.  Now, if you had the homestudy done, then wanted to change to a different county or avenue and wanted to use the same homestudy, you have to pay part of the cost back.  That way, people aren't signing up as foster parents just to have the state foot the bill for their homestudies.  But, other than that, I haven't heard of having to pay to be foster parents or respite care.  I have also been told that the only foster/adopt kids available through private agencies are ones that weren't easily placed by the county.  In other words, almost never newborns because newborns are very easy to place, so there's no need to sub-contract through private agencies.  At least, that's how it works here.

But Susan, if it's at all an option to license directly through your county, I would at least call them and ask for info before going ahead with this agency... Are you going for adopt-only placements, or doing some foster care as well? ("Legal risk" or "foster to adopt", neither program officially exists in my state but I know it does in some...)

TheMrs.S
by Member on May. 18, 2012 at 9:10 AM
We are with an agency and the only thing we had to pay for we're our finger prints and first aid class. We were also placed with 2 girls, 16 months and 2 months, two weeks agree we were certified. I'm not sure I would trust the agency that charges you! Our agency works with the county and it's all kinds of kids that you can get called for.
bleumonster
by on May. 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I went with the state. Here the agencies cover the cost of the homestudy but you have to stay with them for at least a year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)