Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

Do your kids have chores?

Posted by on May. 21, 2012 at 2:31 PM
  • 12 Replies

Do your children have any chores at home? How old are your kids, and what chores do they do?

This is something my husband and I revisit on a regular basis. We really believe that participating in chores in an age-appropriate way is important for a child to know that he/she is a contributing member of the family. :) Just wondering how others are handling this with their families.

by on May. 21, 2012 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meam4444
by on May. 21, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Not really...but sort of...our rules are basically, you make a mess, you clean it up.  They also do some things just by example too--such as, clean their plates after they are done eating and place them on the counter by the dishwasher.  We don't have anything to concrete that they have to do though.  They are five, four, one and seven months..of course, the younger two aren't expected to do anything.

HousewifeNina
by on May. 21, 2012 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this
YES!!! As a huge fan of the Waltons, well...it would be wrong if they didn't. Chores start based on height.
By 4, kids have written chores. We hang them on the fridge, wall, wherever.
Empty garbage, put away dishes, feed dogs, empty recycle, put clothes away,(of course clean room), etc.
Jay is 2. He is responsible for the silverware, recycling, his toys, his own dirty clothes.
Sam does lawn, puts away laundry(his), brings me laundry baskets, big trash, and bringing in and unloading groceries.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raleyfamily
by Carla on May. 21, 2012 at 8:04 PM

My 15 year old daughter does breakfast and supper dishes, Angel-Leah, who is eight, does the lunch ones.  My 15 year also cooks dinner a lot.  The boys have to take out the trash and do other heavier stuff.  They all feed their rabbits, clean their rooms and keep the loft clean.  They also clean the stairway.  In the mornings, we all tackle the house, and usually by ten the housework is all done.  That's a homeschooling mommy's MUST!!

Carla Raley, wife of Bill, mom of 10, foster mom of more than 50
Visit my blogs for stories of the life of an older mom raising a large family, foster/adoption and homeschooling
http://raleyfamilysfarm.blogspot.com/

http://bookreviewsbycarla.blogspot.com/

harmony7
by on May. 21, 2012 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this

My boys have chores..we have five at home... Joseph is 13 and he feeds the dogs and grains the horses, Paul is 11 and he feeds and waters the cats, Jonathan is 15 and he gives the horses their hay. All of them clean house and take turns with the bathrooms, unloading the dishwasher, vacumning, sweeping and mopping as well as dusting. Vacumning and dishwasher are daily..other chores are once a week.  The older boys mow the yard and they all help with laundry. The older ones also help cook from time to time.

We started chores as soon as they could walk..we would sing a made up song and pick up the toys and help put clothes away. As they grew they learned how to do more things around the house. The boys will be able to clean a home and cook when they leave here...that is my goal. If you dont do chores..I dont take you anywhere or hand you any money..period. I have been known to read the paper during baseball practice if one of them did not finish chores before time to go.

Pam in Alabama
A Mom to nine sons and one daughter with six still at home!
mcginnisc
by Claire on May. 21, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Yes..

Lilly is 6.5, she takes care of her trash in her room and their bathroom, she keeps the bathroom organized, keeps her room clean, feeds the cats and has also started taking care of the food and water for the strays outside as well ( yes.... we got sucked into feeding strays...it started with 1 that has been here for a year, and now a new one showed up and dropped a litter of 4 kittens a month ago...sigh)

Karli supposedly cleans up her toys, but that is a work in progress as she is 3.5 and hasn't gotten there yet... 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

DJAKoala
by on May. 21, 2012 at 9:44 PM
My almost 10 year old Matthew is responsable for the dishwasher, empty and fill. Vacuum,mows the lawn, puts away his laundry,skims leaves off the swimming pool(opened it 2 days ago).
My 5.5 year old Clayton helps set table,vacuums, keeps his toys and such in order. My boys enjoy helping me keep the house in order. Matthew loves helping dad in the yard, he was very helpful with raking top soil. He has his own flower garden and enjoys maintaining it, planting, watering,weeding.
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on May. 21, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I have to say that I don't particularly consider cleaning up after yourself to be a family chore... So we have always asked him to pick up his toys, put his laundry away, etc. Obviously when he was younger it was a game, something we did together, and much more low-key. And we don't mind helping him clean up sometimes, just like he'll help me put stuff away when we're cleaning the kitchen or living room. :)

At 4, the only really consistent chore my son has is setting the table. He does this (almost) every night, and probably once a week he tries to argue about it and we remind him that this is how he contributes to our family. He also helps put the silverware away from time to time, and has some responsibility for the animals... He was feeding the cats regularly, but then their feeding time and food type changed. I've been trying to think about other chores that are feasible/appropriate, so I appreciate hearing everyone else's perspective.

MedicMommy2
by on May. 21, 2012 at 10:48 PM

My kids are 5 and 2 and they both have chores. There is the obvious... clean their rooms and pick up the play area, put your dishes in the sink and pick up any mess that is around.

They both empty the dishwasher, the younger one hands everything to the older one.

They both wipe down the table and pick up the floor after meals.

The older one sweeps, feeds and waters the dog, cleans their bathroom, brings their hampers to the laundry on respective days.

The younger one wipes down the cabnets and baseboards once or twice a week, takes folded laundry to the rooms it belongs, and she straightens all the shoes on the shoe shelf by the door.

We do a quick clean every morning before we start school.

shay0810
by on May. 22, 2012 at 8:48 AM

My girls are 6 and four. They clean their own room and put their own laundry away.  They both know how to run the wahing machine and dryer, and occasionally, if I'm super busy, they wash or dry a load. They clear the table after meals, and pick up their own messes. Also, every day, they pick 3 "chore cards". Each card has a different chore written on it, things like "wipe down the fronts of the kitchen cabinets", "dust living room", wipe off dining room chairs", stuff like that.  Then, if they complete all their chores thoroughly and without complaining, they get to draw a "fun card", that might say something like "you get to rent a movie", or "choose a dessert to make for supper", or "20 minutes on the computer"..   It works out pretty well for us!

Juanita679
by on May. 22, 2012 at 8:51 AM
YES

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN