Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

Not happy with camp :(

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:19 AM
  • 9 Replies
I'm glad I just enrolled him for one week because this isn't the right camp for him. He's too young and his speech is too poor. Monday he reported someone pushed him and yesterday he told us a boy pushed him into the garbage can. My dh coached him on how to handle a bully so hopefully today will be better.

I had thought that the little ones were separated and supervised more. Yesterday I had to pick him up at noon for an appointment. The kids were all together standing up with their lunchboxes on the floor. A man who clearly was exmilitary and probably a drill sargent was the only adult with about 100 kids. As I got there he was about to lead them in prayer. A couple of kids were giggling and he lit into them about being disrespectful. The dude was pretty scary. Then he told all the kids "Sit!" I never saw Derek obey anyone so fast.

I was not happy that even though I had told the counselor when I was picking him up he wasn't ready and I had to go search for all his stuff, and I am very unhappy that no one asked for my ID.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jen1130
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:55 AM
I think a drill Sargent is good for kids....not all kids but a lot of kids. Some people are intimidating but mean no harm. As DH was military we kind of run our family like that.
1 person for 100 kids is stupid! If not for the drill Sargent it would have been a mad house.
I would be worried about his safety and talk to the staff ( if you can find one) ask the drill Sargent guy to talk to Derek about what to do when people push him. He was so quick to mind him I bet he will follow every word: ) other than kids pushing him is he having a good time?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Malley
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:31 AM
My brother was a drill sargent so the gruff exterior doesn't bother me, used to that, but this guy was kinda over the top like yelling at them because he heard talking while they were eating. But he's got all the kids, 5-13 years old which is too much.

Derek isn't saying much about camp, but he isn't fighting me about going.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Eeek... that is all I can think to say...

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

meam4444
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Wow..one adult for so many children...a child could go missing, and they probably wouldn't even notice for awhile...that is what would scare me.

aprilz1225
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:25 AM

wow don't they have guidelines they need to follow. amout of kids per adult, id, things like that? is it in a contract you signed if it is and they are not breach of contract get your money back and run!

Malley
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:41 AM

The rest of the time they have so many counselors per child, it's just during lunch and believe me, this guy wouldn't let anyone slip out the door lol.

Derek comes home sun-burnt every day and with all his water. They had to bring spray on sunscreen and lots of water, made a big deal about it but the counselor isn't making sure it's on and he is drinking. He's just a little kid. I teach fourth grade and I stay on my students about stuff like that on field trips. I think the camp is just geared more for the 8-11 year old set. Like there is a different counselor in charge of car line every day, morning and evening,  and they all seem surprised he is still in a 5 point harness car seat. I have to ask them to open the door for him because it's on a child safety lock. I'm not trying to be petty, just saying I don't think they are real knowledgeable about little ones.

aprilz1225
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:32 AM

this camp needs time out!

Quoting Malley:

The rest of the time they have so many counselors per child, it's just during lunch and believe me, this guy wouldn't let anyone slip out the door lol.

Derek comes home sun-burnt every day and with all his water. They had to bring spray on sunscreen and lots of water, made a big deal about it but the counselor isn't making sure it's on and he is drinking. He's just a little kid. I teach fourth grade and I stay on my students about stuff like that on field trips. I think the camp is just geared more for the 8-11 year old set. Like there is a different counselor in charge of car line every day, morning and evening,  and they all seem surprised he is still in a 5 point harness car seat. I have to ask them to open the door for him because it's on a child safety lock. I'm not trying to be petty, just saying I don't think they are real knowledgeable about little ones.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:55 PM
The check out procedure (or rather lack thereof) is a huge safety concern. And the lack of age-appropriate supervision? They are really running a shoddy program from the sounds of it.

I would recommend contacting the director of the Y and reporting your concerns. I think they would want to know... And hopefully make some changes to better protect and care for these kiddos!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Malley
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:06 PM
The youth director is there everyday and I do like him-he was Derek's coach. I can talk to him. The daily checkout is good. I have to show my ID and sign his page. The director knows me and still asked for it. Yesterday the sign up was at the front desk and she just had me sign and go get him. Maybe she recognized us because we are there alot, but still. I told the drill sargent I had signed him out and he said ok and let me take him.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

The check out procedure (or rather lack thereof) is a huge safety concern. And the lack of age-appropriate supervision? They are really running a shoddy program from the sounds of it.

I would recommend contacting the director of the Y and reporting your concerns. I think they would want to know... And hopefully make some changes to better protect and care for these kiddos!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN