Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long?

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 9:48 PM
  • 11 Replies
How much time did you have between knowing you were adopting to taking your child home?

First time I got a phone call about 10 in the morning and picked them at 7 that night. Talk about scrambling around to get everything!
Second time we were asked to adopt one day and the surrender was the next day. But we were already raising them so our scrambling this time was arranging for the paperwork.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jun. 23, 2012 at 9:54 PM

That is a crazy timeiline for your twins -- how long had you been licensed?

We submitted our foster parenting application at the end of January 2010, and our FS came to us in June 2010.

jen1130
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Our home study was complete on Feb 11 2000. Our daughter was born feb 9 2001 we got the call to see if we were taking foster children and could we pick her up that day feb 11 2001. Then the adoption was final on May 25 2002.
Our next adoption was our sib group. We got approved in aug 2010 we were matched oct and met the kids Nov 2 they moved in Dec 2 and the adoption was final May 25 2011. It was funny that May 25 was the same date picked for the adoptions: )
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Malley
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 11:21 PM
We were certified three months. We were adoption only so the parents had already signed for tpr. We were told it would be 2-3 years before we'd get a child. The twins had been in 6 placements before we got them. The last was with a cousin whose doctor wouldn't give her medical clearance. She was heartbroken and wanted them moved immediately. They were with her a month.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

That is a crazy timeiline for your twins -- how long had you been licensed?

We submitted our foster parenting application at the end of January 2010, and our FS came to us in June 2010.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 11:22 PM

We went to a meeting with the social worker so the SW could choose which family the baby would go to. A the meeting they told us she was ready to be picked up at the hospital and could we go right now. Yikes! We didn't even have a car seat, diapers, or anything!

We were adopting out of foster care and did not think we'd end up with a newborn infant (ours was a "safe surrender" baby).

teaguen
by teaguen on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting maggiemom2000:

We went to a meeting with the social worker so the SW could choose which family the baby would go to. A the meeting they told us she was ready to be picked up at the hospital and could we go right now. Yikes! We didn't even have a car seat, diapers, or anything!

We were adopting out of foster care and did not think we'd end up with a newborn infant (ours was a "safe surrender" baby).

That sounds so much like when we picked up our first fd.  Not expecting an infant and got a call on Christmas eve to come pick her up.  No car seat, crib or anything.  Made a quick trip to baby store and got what we needed for the night.  Was sad that the bm changed her mind and baby went home 6 days later.  We knew that our forever daughter would come along.  She did 4 months later and was also a safe surrender baby.  3 years later we received a call about another safe surrender and she joined our family as well.  At least we were able to use all the baby stuff we had purchased.

clae82
by Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:20 AM

I was certified for about 2 and half years. On the day my daughter was placed, I received a phone call about 11:00 that morning and I picked her up at about 2:30 that afternoon.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:14 AM

We started the process on March 10, 2005. Our dossier was state sealed on August 15, 2005. It was translated and sent to China ( DTC) on September 7, 2005. Our dossier sat on a desk until October 10, 2005 when it was accepted by the CCAA ( it has now changed names)...

We believe Lilly was born on November 5, 2005 ( it is the day we use for her birthday, and we know it is within 1-2 days of being correct). 

Our referral day was 2/1/07- 17 months after our log in date. On 3/7/07 we got a call telling us when our Consulate appointment would be and when we were expected to be in Beijing...We had 23 days to pack, and get to Beijing. My last day of work that year was 3/21/07 and we left on 3/29/07. We landed in Beijing on 3/30 at 10 pm, toured for 3 days and flew to Guangzhou City in South China on 4/3/07. We met Lilly a mere 2.5 hours after we landed in Guangzhou and our venture into parenthood began. Our trip lasted 17 days. We returned home on 4/14/07. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

Gwen72
by Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:48 AM

We were homestudy certified in March 2008.  We got the call about our son on Novemebr 29th '08.  He was 4 hours old. 

NannaBanana1983
by Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:55 AM
We were certified for two weeks when they called us to take our sibling group, DS was 19 months old and dd was 4 months. They had been at our local shelter those two weeks!! We are hoping to finalize their adoption two years to the date in October :) tpr hearing June 28th!!
adoptionbound
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:14 PM

It depends on how specific you are on age, race, sex, sibling group, special needs etc. We have been home study approved for 2 1/2 years and we got our first placement on May 25th 2012. We took a leap as TPR has not happened yet. We are hoping to adopt these 2 little angels who have been placed in our home. My 2 Bio sons and the new kiddos are bonding well given their situation. We are working thou a few issues. They are 5, 3, 3, & 2....what a great blessing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)