Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

Need an "I'm the Mom" tshirt

Posted by   + Show Post

I have been attending workshops and setting up my classroom to get ready for the beginning of school next week. (sob) So far, no fewer than 5 of my coworkers have referred to me as Grandma and one asked Derek if he came to school to help Grandma. The school secretary corrected her before I had a chance to. I adopted them a year ago and have referred to myself as mom since then. I have nicely corrected people, some repeatedly, ever since. Derek will be getting off the bus at my school most days, and I don't want him hearing this day after day. He already has enough abandonment issues, don't think he needs to be reminded on a daily basis. One of my friends decided that she and a few others will help out by correcting people also which is fine with me. Yesterday my gradelevel (including my defenders of truth) got together for lunch and to work on lesson plans. We have a new teacher and as we all were chatting, I mentioned my 2 year old. The newbie asked me if she had heard that right and when I assured her I had a 2 year old, she asked increduously "YOU have a 2 year old?" I smiled serenely and said yes while she stared at me. The funniest part was no one else said a word to her lol. I think they were all shocked at how rude she was and were waiting to see how I'd handle it. Maybe I should have asked her what happened to pretty Southern manners lol.

by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:49 AM
Replies (11-12):
Malley
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 8:07 PM
Not really b/c one of the women started talking about how rewarding it is to be a grandma.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Did they have any kind of response, give you any clue that it was sinking in?

I just don't understand why this is so hard for your co-workers to get...

Quoting Malley:

I so need this! I was at a workshop today again. One woman asked if I spent the summer babysitting the boys. Another asked me "Isn't it fun being a grandma?" A couple of women called me Grandmamom. At lunch I heard more variations of this so I told "the act of adoption terminates all grandparent rights. The judge told me I am no longer a Grandma. It makes me sad not to be a grandma anymore and when people keep calling me that it makes me feel bad."

Quoting mcginnisc:

Like this one?? 

http://www.cafepress.com/+adoptionshirts

I'm so sorry you keep having to deal with idiocy.. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Opie99
by Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:17 PM
Cafepress has a bunch of awesome adoptin related slogans and merch

Quoting mcginnisc:

Like this one?? 

http://www.cafepress.com/+adoptionshirts

I'm so sorry you keep having to deal with idiocy.. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)