Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

Snags

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:07 PM
  • 8 Replies

We keep running into little snags throughout pursuing adoption. It took forever to find a lawyer who would handle our case and even longer finding the right lawyer for the case. After we found the right lawyer, Issac hit our hometown. We had to evacuate and spent our savings trying to get out of dodge. We got back and the birthmother dropped off the face of the earth. And now that things are in place again, we just can't afford the $6000 retainer. We have considered just filing for custody, but tonight we were in the Emergency Room (found out the baby has tonsillitis) and the nurse was telling me that there were all sorts of grants and funds that would help with adoption. But everything I've found is for people who are going through adoption agencies. Has anyone gone through with an independent 3rd party adoption and been able to use grants or financial assistance? If so, what programs assisted you?

by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
3mom627
by Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 12:10 AM

I wish I knew about grants, etc. We adopted International and I applied for a grant, but never heard. I would look on the internet. I am so sorry to hear of all your troubles. I hope things start to get better. 

3MOM627

have a nice day

Malley
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 12:22 AM
Do you live in the New Orleans area? I'm wondering since you mentioned Isaac. Our lawyer was no where near that expensive and I can give you her name if you're interested. Did BM already sign the surrender?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on Sep. 15, 2012 at 8:20 AM

I have no clue! I'm an IA mom so I have no experience with DIA. Here's a bump for you.

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Sep. 15, 2012 at 10:57 AM
I hope the baby gets better soon - did you have his tonsils out? I'm sorry to hear it's been a rough couple of months for you guys... (((HUGS))) I hope you can get things sorted out soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deana2882
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 3:48 PM

We filed for custody first because we thought that would be the fastest way to guarantee guardianship. We then started looking for a lawyer and ours only required a $1000 retainer. We paid $250 for a home study and an additional $500 after the adoption to our lawyer. Our birth mom signed over her rights but the birth dad was served papers and never responded so his rights were terminated then the adoption was finalized. We paid about $200 for the guardianship. If you file for guardianship in our state anyway and get it, the mom or dad would have to take you to court, prove she/he can hold a job, prove she/he has their own place to live, plus they look at what would be in the best interest of the child if they wanted to regain custody so if you're worried about her trying to get the baby back this may help.

CatGriffin
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Yes. We are an hour and a half south of New Orleans. They have very few adoption lawyers in our immediate area and we've looked as far as Baton Rouge and Lafayette.

CatGriffin
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Thank you all for the support. Adoption is pretty much unheard of in our neck of the woods and there are so few people who  have done it, so there is very little support. I did find one grant that may help us and fit our situation, Lord willing. It's from God's Grace Adoption Ministries, Inc. It is a dollar for dollar match that will match up to $2500 of what we can possibly aquire through special offerings and fundraisers through the church and community. 

meam4444
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:39 PM

That is great that you found the grant!  :)

Quoting CatGriffin:

Thank you all for the support. Adoption is pretty much unheard of in our neck of the woods and there are so few people who  have done it, so there is very little support. I did find one grant that may help us and fit our situation, Lord willing. It's from God's Grace Adoption Ministries, Inc. It is a dollar for dollar match that will match up to $2500 of what we can possibly aquire through special offerings and fundraisers through the church and community. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN