Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

Apple Picking!

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 9:45 AM
  • 13 Replies

Alright, ladies, I think we're going apple picking this afternoon... My favorite fall tradition!!

Does your family go apple picking in the fall? What are some of your favorite things to make/eat with apples?

apple

by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
confused969
by Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never gone apple picking but have gone to pick strawberries and blueberries.  I am really looking forward to fresh apples this year!  I like to make apple pies, applesauce, and have just started making apple juice with the juicer.  Now I am getting hungry thinking about apple pie-lol.

jen1130
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:09 AM
Oh my gosh I miss that!!!! Our home in Missouri had about 100 apple trees. We made apple sauce and pies. My Great Grandmother made apple roll ups before they sold them in stores she called them apple leather. It was apple sauce baked on a low temp for a long time ( I was a kid it felt like a long time).
Have fun: )
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meam4444
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Yes!  We go in our front yard.  I think we have around 12 apple trees.  :)  I love making apple crisp.

ljnnmommy
by Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM
We do! I we go in October right now in Ca the weather has been so hot it does not seem like fall.
Malley
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 10:53 PM
My parents had a fruit orchard and we had apple, pear, and cherry trees plus they grew strawberries and had a grape arbor. We also went blueberry and blackberry picking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teaguen
by teaguen on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I would love to go apple picking again.  Spent some time in Washington state and we used to make apple sauce and apple butter.  Apple pie is my favorite dish.  Love the granny smith tart apples.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I've got some apple butter going in the crock pot right now... The whole house smells heavenly!!

Quoting teaguen:

I would love to go apple picking again.  Spent some time in Washington state and we used to make apple sauce and apple butter.  Apple pie is my favorite dish.  Love the granny smith tart apples.

drk2040
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I wish you were here! I have 6 apple trees and they are loaded with apples but there is no one to pick them! Usualy we are able to get a Amish family to pick them, but since they have had 3 bad accidents this year (Car VS Buggy) I have not seen anyone out.

It seems such a shame to have them go to waste. I am in a wheel chair and the only ones I can get to are on the ground. Most of them are baking apples and I dont do much of that and canning is out of the question!

Drk2040have a nice day

meam4444
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:04 PM

mmm Granny Smith are my favorite!  I have a Granny Smith tree in our front yard, but it hasn't produced for three years now.  :(

Quoting teaguen:

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:54 PM
I wish I could come bake you an apple crisp... Sorry to hear your neighbors won't be able to help this year. :-\

Quoting drk2040:

I wish you were here! I have 6 apple trees and they are loaded with apples but there is no one to pick them! Usualy we are able to get a Amish family to pick them, but since they have had 3 bad accidents this year (Car VS Buggy) I have not seen anyone out.

It seems such a shame to have them go to waste. I am in a wheel chair and the only ones I can get to are on the ground. Most of them are baking apples and I dont do much of that and canning is out of the question!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN