Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The baby picture assignment...

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:21 AM
  • 16 Replies

As always, my son's school is starting off the year with a unit on My Family. One of the things that they regularly request for this assignment is a "baby picture", with the general assumption that all families have at least one photo of their child as a baby.

Those of you who adopted through foster care or internationally can already guess where I am going with this... Because we all know that NOT every family has a photo of their child as a baby. Some families would give anything to have that baby picture, and some children really struggle with this missing piece of their history. It's unintentional, sure, but it also feels a little presumptive.

We actually do have about 10 baby photos of N now, so this year (unlike last year) I was able to send something in. He and I had a nice time this morning looking at the handful of photos and talking a little bit about his time with his first family, which he doesn't really remember. At this point, I don't mind so much for me, but I know that we are likely not the only family to be in the position where finding baby pictures is a struggle...

Does your school do the baby picture assignment? How do you handle it? Has anyone come up with a more inclusive alternative?

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meam4444
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

My girls have never been asked to bring in a baby photo.  For their book which they are making about themsevles, we were asked to bring in a photo of our family and then any photo of them (current, baby, toddler, etc..whatever we chose).

I agree it is a little presumptive. 

feralkitten
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:50 AM

its never came up but my ss happens to look just like my 4 year old son and he find anything from his passed hard so we said if it dose come up he can just take a photo in of his little brother and he is happy with that and so they school 

aprilz1225
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Conner had a project like this.. baby pictures of all of us... i got a not that says how conner is a perfect blend of mom and dad.                       

mcginnisc
by Claire on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Nope.. My girls go to private school though. I have always dreaded that little "family tree" project, but we've been lucky thus far..

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

harmony7
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I hate it...I talked to the teacher and we just did ours with what info I had and drawings he did himself.

Pam in Alabama
A Mom to nine sons and one daughter with six still at home!
jen1130
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 3:11 PM
I have NB pics of savanna but Nicholas was 3 1/2 yrs old and Isaac was 9 1/2 yrs old. Lindsey was 12 1/2 yrs old. I do have 3 baby pics of Lindsey and 3 of Isaac but they are bad pictures with the bio family...they wanted Isaac to have pics of them. He had the option to use those or the pics that start at 9 1/2. He picked the 9 1/2 pics. The foster families never ever gave any pictures: (
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Oct. 2, 2012 at 3:26 PM

This is such a great, respectful way to approach it. I might suggest that to the teachers and/or school... It affects more than just my family and my child. I really wish schools as a whole would rethink this type of project. 

Quoting meam4444:

My girls have never been asked to bring in a baby photo.  For their book which they are making about themsevles, we were asked to bring in a photo of our family and then any photo of them (current, baby, toddler, etc..whatever we chose).

I agree it is a little presumptive. 

LucyHarper
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:03 PM

We only have one picture of him as a baby, even though my husband is his biological father (I adopted my stepson), he didn't own a camera when he was a baby and that was the only photo that his sons biological mother ever let him have, all of his other baby pictures that his birth mother had were lost in a fire, so this is the only one in existance. He had a project for kindergarten where he had to bring in photos from throughout his babyhood, at different months and ages, and toddler pictures to glue to a poster. We could not give up his only picture to be glued to a poster and brought to school, and even then we only had one from before he was 18 months, so we explained the teacher and they were very understanding, we just sent in toddler photos.

Malley
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:59 AM
My twins were 9 months when they came to us so we had no early pictures. They used the pics from that age for projects.

Can I just say I will be so happy when the K curriculum moves past families? It's been a hard unit for Derek because he remembers everything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NicksMom1407
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Perhaps this is just the teacher in me... but have you pointed this out to him/her? It might not be something he/she's considered before and might appreciate a simple suggestion or heads up for the future. I know that I would make adjustments in my own lesson plans accordingly. Teachers don't always get all of the details and may not know. I am sure with some thought or planning the assignment could be altered so that all of the children have the same opportunity. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)