Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about Foster care

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:30 PM
  • 9 Replies

In the past I fostered and adopted with my (now ex) husband a sibling group. I get a state subsidy and now child support, and this is what we live on right now as far as income because I have been a stay at home mom since we started fostering them years ago. I school at home my children, so I plan to go back to work in a few years when they can do school more independently. 

My question is can a single parent become a foster parent? And if so, do you think they will consider me financially stable enough to foster again? I know I have the room, and even though I moved, I know what modifications (baby/toddler safety) I would have to do the house in order to prepare for that age group. I just don't know if it would even be an option. I don't know that I want to adopt again as a single parent, but I would enjoy fostering, even if just for short stays to give another foster parent a break. 

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
underHISwing
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I would call your local agency, and let them know all the circumstances, and ask.  It can't hurt.  I do know that there are single foster moms, I'm just not sure about the income issue.  The worse thing they can say is not right now...

doodlebopfan
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:49 PM
I agree with PP. Single parents are no problem and the income may or may not be an issue, I just don't know for sure. You might mention that you are wanting to do respite care for other foster parents. How long have your and your EX been divorced? Are the kids young enough that you aren't going to be losing their subsidy anytime soon?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyJ888
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Quoting doodlebopfan:

I agree with PP. Single parents are no problem and the income may or may not be an issue, I just don't know for sure. You might mention that you are wanting to do respite care for other foster parents. How long have your and your EX been divorced? Are the kids young enough that you aren't going to be losing their subsidy anytime soon?

Respite care!! I couldn't remember what it was called, thank you. 

Our divorce has been finalized about a month, but I'm not thinking of trying until sometime next year. 

I will have the subsidy for about 9 more years. 

meam4444
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I personally know a few single foster parents where I live.  But, here is a bump for maybe more specific advice too.  Good luck!!

doodlebopfan
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM
Check out your state's guidelines. Every state has a web page if you google "(your state) child protective services, it will bring yours up. In our state, you'd have to be divorced (or married) longer than 2 years. I guess they figure there's enough of a life change that you need time to adjust before taking on the challenges of foster care. Your state might not have that stipulation though. Check it out and that will help you plan your future. Good luck!

Quoting MommyJ888:

Quoting doodlebopfan:

Our divorce has been finalized about a month, but I'm not thinking of trying until sometime next year. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Our state also has the 2 year requirement.

Even so, I think calling to ask some questions about your specific situation would be helpful. You can learn about their relationship policy, as well as whether adoption subsidy is considered stable income for the purposes of foster care.

My state also has no problem licensing single parents, but all of the single foster parents I know work full-time. I hope you can easily get some basic answers either on your state's DHHS website or by calling the office of child and family services in your area.

MommyJ888
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I'm not sure if my state has the two year marriage rule. We were married at 19 and started fostering 2 months after I turned 21, but it had not been a full two years (about 18 months) of marriage. I know that I had to be 21 to foster. We took a kinship emergency placement and then had to become certified as foster parents quickly, so they might have had the rule but waived it because of the situation, I don't know. 

I will look online. Thanks!!

Quoting doodlebopfan:

Check out your state's guidelines. Every state has a web page if you google "(your state) child protective services, it will bring yours up. In our state, you'd have to be divorced (or married) longer than 2 years. I guess they figure there's enough of a life change that you need time to adjust before taking on the challenges of foster care. Your state might not have that stipulation though. Check it out and that will help you plan your future. Good luck!

Quoting MommyJ888:

Quoting doodlebopfan:

MommyJ888
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:18 PM

As I stated above to another person, not sure about 2 year requirement. 

I am definitely going to go online and/or call and talk to someone. If I have two wait the 2 years, I should be back to work at least part-time by then, so the income may not be an issue. 

Thanks!!

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Our state also has the 2 year requirement.

Even so, I think calling to ask some questions about your specific situation would be helpful. You can learn about their relationship policy, as well as whether adoption subsidy is considered stable income for the purposes of foster care.

My state also has no problem licensing single parents, but all of the single foster parents I know work full-time. I hope you can easily get some basic answers either on your state's DHHS website or by calling the office of child and family services in your area.

trayseehalf
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Our daughter was our foster child. It was hard for me to seperate myself between her going to see her mother and coming back to us. I wound up in therapy even over it. We finally adopted her at 18 months. She belongs to my husbands cousin. To make matters more confusing my SIL has adopted her older sister. There is also a boy between them. He is with a family in Iowa. We are in Nebraska. Plus there is an older girl and boy that is with that father in Iowa. She was doing meth and drinking while pregnant, Our daughter she must have stopped thinking they wouldn't take her but they did. She showed no drugs. The boy got the brunt of the drug use and there was even drugs in her sisters system. I don't think I have been the same since we fostered her. But thankfully there are people out there like you that can tell the difference between them coming and going. Good Luck to you!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)