Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Our first visitation

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:08 AM
  • 12 Replies

to meet our son (hopefully!) is Tuesday!  Any advice?  What should I expect?  I am super nervous and intimidated since there will be so many people there watching us. (foster parents, both case workers, and maybe therapist) I really hope he likes us.  He is 6.  I know very little about boys that age.  Any advice is welcome!  Thanks!

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by Claire on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Good luck! 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:32 AM
Where are you meeting? Do you have any activities you can do, like a craft or a board game?

Will all those people be in the room with you?

Best wishes, I hope the visit helps you all to get to know one another.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mweddle
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:39 AM

we are meeting at a fast food restaurant so we can talk and the kids can play in the play area.  Yes they will all be with us.  I'm really nervous about it.

meam4444
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Sorry I have no advice, but I hope it goes well for you!  Wishing you all the best with it!

doodlebopfan
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:10 PM
3 moms liked this
Breathe and be yourself. :) If the kids are playing, take the time to ask about his likes, dislikes regarding food, tv shows, super heroes. Is he active? What kinds of activities does he enjoy? What's his normal routine? His favorite color? Allergies (food and medicines), is he on medications, things that upset him? What's he most concerned about regarding his adoption? Any fears relating to adoption or otherwise? Sleeps with....lovey, blanket, night light, music, ceiling fan? You'll be fine! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with being yourselves... And with the kids playing in the play area, I imagine your daughter and the boy you're visiting will get a really good picture of how they interact. :)

I also think doodle is on to something... If the plan is for the kids to play and the grown-ups to visit, now is the time to ask for LOTS of information. When else will you have all those folks in the same room to help you get a picture of this young man, his personality, and his needs? It sounds like a really great opportunity. Hope it all goes well!

Mweddle
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Thank you everyone!  I started a sheet of paper and I've been writing TONS of questions on it.  I hope that the foster parents and I can stay in contact since they know him better than we do.  They sound like really awesome people.  I am just hoping and the kids get along well and play well.  :)  All these worries.  haha.  I guess in these situations you really have to just jump in feet first and hope everything works out.  It will be nice to get some extra info.  I am feeling really intimidated right now but I'm sure they will put us at ease.  The case workers are awesome so if thats any indication then we are golden!

shell81
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:17 PM

In NO way being rude but for advice I want to ask some ?'s hope that is ok?
Was he took from you through the state? Asking cause you said foster parents? When was the last time you say him?

britniwheeler
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I think she is an pre-adoptive mom for a child from the foster care system. She isn't the birthmom. I am not sure, I will let her answer though.

Quoting shell81:

In NO way being rude but for advice I want to ask some ?'s hope that is ok?
Was he took from you through the state? Asking cause you said foster parents? When was the last time you say him?

aprilz1225
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Good luck! to you both.. if you feel uneasy and need a brake go to the rest room and take a few mins. to yourself. you'll do great...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)