Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how about a laugh?

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:12 AM
  • 19 Replies

With the wonderful family holidays just around the coner, which i would like to thank all the chain stores for reminding me before Halloween was here. Any family "i can't believe that happend" funny moments that you all laugh at every year.

As my grand mother got older we still had dinner at her home but we all had an asigned dish. One year it was my Cousin's turn to fix the turkey.   gram asked "Katie, did you make stuffing?" my cousin said "  I didn't have to make any"  my Gram replied "why?"  my cousin .."it was a pre stuffed turkey."... my cousin thought the bag of stuff(heart, neck and such) was the stuffing.

also one year for Christmas, i was three and someone i think my aunt, bought me pretty big girl undies i strip down right there in the middle of the living room with everyone opening gifts and put them on. my mom swares she has photo evidence... i say a photo is worth a thousand words and till is see it it never happend.

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meam4444
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:42 AM

LOL!  Not so modest eh??  lol  That is funny about the turkey...just last year, I baked the turkey without taking out the plastic bagging holding those extra parts.  It wasn't the most appetizing knowing there was melted plastic on the turkey.  Or, when I didn't take the plastic off the pizza before putting it in the oven...yea, I get my mind on other things and forget what I am doing. 

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:24 PM

LOL!!

Our family tradition is to call the rolls "dinosaur eggs"... My grandmother always uses frozen Rhodes rolls, and one year she accidentally let them rise for several hours. They were huge! You know, like the size of a dinosaur egg? :)

aprilz1225
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:56 PM

haha..whoops.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

LOL!!

Our family tradition is to call the rolls "dinosaur eggs"... My grandmother always uses frozen Rhodes rolls, and one year she accidentally let them rise for several hours. They were huge! You know, like the size of a dinosaur egg? :)

aprilz1225
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:57 PM

As a mouse! lol...

Quoting meam4444:

LOL!  Not so modest eh??  lol  That is funny about the turkey...just last year, I baked the turkey without taking out the plastic bagging holding those extra parts.  It wasn't the most appetizing knowing there was melted plastic on the turkey.  Or, when I didn't take the plastic off the pizza before putting it in the oven...yea, I get my mind on other things and forget what I am doing. 

DJAKoala
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:41 PM
When I was younger and wanted to make cookies. I tried a strange recipe that called for clove. I misinterpreted the ingredients . I needed ground clove spice. I put in whole cloves,when my friend bit into the cookie,he gagged and spit out a clove piece. Every time I see that friend he reminds me and asks if I have made any "clove" cookies.
MamaEngineer
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:08 AM
We have a box that has existed for 20-some years. It was originally for a food slicer.The slicer and parts are long gone, but we anxiously await for presents to be opened to see who received the box. We were disappointed one year, my parents had moved and misplaced the box. You would have thought the Grinch visited when we realized the box wasn't under the tree!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aprilz1225
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:26 AM

we do that all the time... used a pot pie box to put a gift card in it once.. SIL recieved a can of peaches once.(not form us).

Quoting MamaEngineer:

We have a box that has existed for 20-some years. It was originally for a food slicer.The slicer and parts are long gone, but we anxiously await for presents to be opened to see who received the box. We were disappointed one year, my parents had moved and misplaced the box. You would have thought the Grinch visited when we realized the box wasn't under the tree!

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:32 AM
That is always a question at my family's Christmas... What is really in the box? Because my grandparents reuse every kind of box they can get their hands on and never for what actually came in it!

Quoting MamaEngineer:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:13 AM
I cannot think of anything! How sad is that?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vhx
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:46 PM

The year my husband's family visited, pre-kids. I think it goes without mentioning that these people know good food, hailing from Sweden and living in Switzerland for the last 30 some odd years. They were arriving in the late afternoon on Christmas eve. I, being the fool I am, tried out new recipes, one of which was Martha Stewart's chocolate bowls, for eating ice cream out of.

I read the recipe and watched the episode a half dozen times. I knew what I was doing, and this was going to be awesome! I melted down the chocolate, oh-so-carefully dipped my balloons into it, then set 8 beautifully crafted choc bowls out on the baking sheet in the kitchen to cool.

I walked away to go hang with the dogs (AKA our first children) feeling self-congratulatory. This was a mistake, and one I always pay dearly for.

And I hear from the kitchen... *POP.* What the heck was that? *POP* *POP* Dread filled me... *POP*
*POP* *POP* *POP* *POP*.

By the time I got to the kitchen I knew what had happened and braced myself for the damage... only it was so much worse than I imagined.

Chocolate in EVERY SINGLE CREVICE of my kitchen. On top of and BEHIND the refrigerator, on the counters, on the window, on the floor, in the grooves of the cabinet doors, on the microwave, oven and in the sink and quite a lot on the ceiling.

Took me three hours to clean it up. I got finished and got myself in and out of the shower just in time to hit up the bakery and buy vanilla eclairs. I couldn't bear to look at chocolate of any kind.

My MIL's comment when she arrived, a few minutes later? "Oh, your house smells wonderful! Just like chocolate!"

I only told them about it at the end of their visit, but they still tease me about it 9 years later!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)