Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nightmares

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:11 PM
  • 10 Replies

Nightmares can hit children of all ages right? Our 17-month-old just came home two days ago. He woke up around an hour ago (it's 6 am here) crying. Running nose and eyes and everything. I held him and read to him and sang to him. He won't go back to sleep now and we are in the playroom. He seems fine now. But my heart is still racing.

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:49 PM
2 moms liked this
I think a child of that age could have bad dreams, and especially as you probably don't know everything he's seen or experienced. He could have just woken up disoriented, too, since your home is still a new environment. I think comforting him, and especially offering that physical connection of rocking and cuddling (when he allows it) is a good way to start building attachment... Even though it's so hard to see him so upset! Hang in there momma!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Josie_P
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Thank you! I didn't think about disorientation. It's so hard to think that his little mind is racing so much and probably so scared :(

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

I think a child of that age could have bad dreams, and especially as you probably don't know everything he's seen or experienced. He could have just woken up disoriented, too, since your home is still a new environment. I think comforting him, and especially offering that physical connection of rocking and cuddling (when he allows it) is a good way to start building attachment... Even though it's so hard to see him so upset! Hang in there momma!

feralkitten
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:06 PM

my 4 year old robb  has had  night mare / terrors since she was about that age and i have to say they done happen very often but takes ages to calm him down he kicks and screams and crys. also to add that robb is my bio son he well attached and a happy hyper boys so i don't know what he had bad dreams about 

HarrisonMD
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:23 AM

They say babies start dreaming between 11 to 17 months of age...sometimes I think it's sooner. My two have woke up from a sound sleep..screaming at the top of their lungs and go back to sleep like it's nothing! I wonder if it's good or bad...

meam4444
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Aww mama.  I hope the nights have been getting better.  You are a good mama.

meam4444
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Here is a bump for your post.  Hope more mamas are able to give insight.

Ariel3666
by Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 1:19 PM

My 22 month old woke up early this morning crying (abnormal for her) and said "bugs mommy."  I am sure she had a nightmare about bugs.  Sounds like you did exactly what he needed and that you are a wonderful mom.

msjoecool
by Crissy on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:46 AM
We got R when she was 11 days old. I'd watch her when she'd nap in the swing. I swear she was having nightmares. She could be reliving the trauma of prenatal neglect or weekly visits with her bio parents. When she came back to our home when she was two and a half, her sleep was awful and filled with screaming.

We got Jessie when she was nine months old. She seemed to acclimate to our house great. She was a great sleeper. Then DH and I had to attend the mandatory four-hour BIT. There was no childcare at the training so our neighbor watched Jessie. Jessie was very familiar with this family an adored the little boy. She did fine, but got a little frightened of the dad. (She was terrified of all men for the longest time. She'd freak if here was a man at a nearby table in a restaurant.) I put her down for a nap and she woke up screaming and terrified. We had a number of nights like that too. Poor baby. That training was the longest she had been separated from us. I am positive she thought we weren't coming back. Ours was her third home before she turned one.

Little children don't like change. Moving homes, even into permanent loving ones, is a huge change. I love what SarahSuzyQ said. Your son is at the age when night terrors are common. He could be mashing up a developmental stage with everything else. Hugs to you both.
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:53 AM
How's he doing this week, Josie?
Josie_P
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:50 AM
He's doing better. Not so many nightmares but now it takes him longer to fall asleep and he wakes up a little crabby.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

How's he doing this week, Josie?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)