Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do you have an adhd child please helo

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 6:04 PM
  • 7 Replies

so 1st off i don't mean as in i hate you I'm running away .

and yes my 11 year old has rad . but the 4 year old is my bio :( i feel like such a bad mum 

my 4 year old always ran crawled rolled  away since he could move. one sec he there talking to you the next he gone and when you find him he smiles and show you a butterfly or what ever easle he was doing and seams truly horrified each and every time i yell at him and put him in time out 

i just don't understand why he runs away i think he has got a short attachon Spain and really dose not think he being bad . but the boys like a race dog you cant take you eyes off him for a sec no mater how safe the place is . even at nursery i came in and 5 members of staff had lots him i found him up the xmas tree lol . they said the same thing (but he was right there a sec ago )

by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
3mom627
by Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM

My son has ADHD, but he is adopted and the diagnosis was before he came to live with us. I don't know what the age is that they can officially diagnosis a child, I think maybe 4 is young, but you could start off by taking him to a therapist and work from there up to a psychiatrist. Ask the staff at the nursery what their thoughts are as I am sure they deal with lots of different 4 year olds every day.

3MOM627

have a nice day

feralkitten
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Scotland a bit different i noticed a lot on cafe mum about therapist and stuff we don't do that really here unless you got mental health issues and adhd meant to be medical it a chemical imbalance in the brain . so it def not something we do here the pediatrician deal with it all here i head of other 4 year old being medicated but i don't want that at all 

and nursey have him on a tight leash and say he really hyper and def has probelsm but again there not willing to say anything . no one wants to at 4 unless the parents cant cope 

feralkitten
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

i should add to even get to see a therapist or physiatrist here a dr must refer you and they wont do that without mental health reasons even my boy with rad only seen a play therapist for a few months and we got training on how to care for him then we get discouraged to get on with it 

sometimes i feel the uk more geared towered medical stuff like heart attackes than adhd and rad lol 

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:36 PM
Is "nursery" like a preschool? If so, I think it's reasonable to speak with the teacher about your concerns and ask if she has any worries. How is his energy level compared to same-age peers? Does his high energy level have a negative impact on his learning? Etc. 4 is a little young for a diagnosis, but have you thought about dietary changes? I know several families IRL who just cut out artificial food dyes and saw a big difference in their kiddos.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
msjoecool
by Crissy on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:57 AM
He sounds like an active normal four year old boy to me. DD1 just turned five and is diagnosed ADHD. We got the diagnosis from a pediatric neuropsychologist. She's in weekly therapy. We see a pediatric psychiatrist for prescriptions. We've known there was something going on with her since we started fostering her at nine months. It took until his past spring/summer to find the right people who understood what I was saying about her. Her birth parents did not give her a good start in the mental health department in addition to prenatal neglect. Her quality of life has improved so much. Good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
silver007
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:22 AM

Our county has an office (think it is part of the school system) that identifies kids at risk for intervention before they start school. My son was adopted and acted just like that at age 5, shortly after we brought him home. Just took off and disappeared. In order to keep him in preschool I had to sit in the hallway during class in case he bolted from the room.

anyhow, the County early learning team did some testing of him and sent a social worker to observe him in class and that added to the diagnosis of his adhd .. among other issues

I suggest you call your school system and talk to them about pre-education programs and services

PS: It took years for my kid to stop the bolt behavior and at age 14 he still wanders and disappears, makes it hard to go out anywhere. You have my sympathies

KLove_Mom
by Kara on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Have you tried regulating his diet. I've read that regulating the child's diet away from white sugar, food dyes, and all preservatives can help with attention span and behavior issues in general. I know my kids can't pay attention after they've had sugary snacks, and one of my friends says her son can't have even 100% fruit juice or he has behavior issues.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)