Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

How old are you and your adopted kids?

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:38 PM
  • 35 Replies

What age were you when you adopted them? What made you make that decision?

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eoewan
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 2:57 AM

I am 49 and we adopted Nye when he was 2 months old. One of our dds (bm) asked us to adopt him. Dd tried for 2 months to parent but she decided it was too much for her and she wasn't ready to be a mum.

harmony7
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 7:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I am now 53 and my dh is 56. Our boys were adopted from our states waiting children from foster care at age 9, 11 and 13. They are now 12, 14 and 16. in addition We have 7 bio children. As a family we made the decision to adopt a child or children waiting for a family. We wanted boys over age 5 since they seem to have the greatest need for homes. I am glad we were all on the same page because it has taken every single one of us to parent and pour into these boys. The changes are amazing in just two and one half years.

Pam in Alabama
A Mom to nine sons and one daughter with five still at home
mcginnisc
by Claire on Dec. 21, 2012 at 7:22 AM

I was 22 days from being 32 when we met our dd Lilly in a crowded office building in Guangzhou China. We began the process when we were 30. We had battled IF for 7 years while waiting to be 35, which was China's law at the time when we finally got pregnant and lost our first dd Kahlan at 36 weeks. 2 years later, China lowered the age to 30 and we were able to begin the process in 2005...( 2 years after losing our dd Kahlan) 

Lilly came to us at 17 months old on 4/3/07. She just turned 7 in November and will celebrate 6 years home in April. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Dec. 21, 2012 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this
We were both 29, and our son was 4 when we finalized this summer... He came to us as a foster care placement when he was 2 and we were 27.

I have friends in their late 50s who adopted their 4 & 5yo FC last year. I don't think age is necessarily the most important factor when deciding what makes a family...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IntlMom12
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I am 39 (38 when we brought them home) and my boys now are 6 and 5 (4 and 3 when we brought them home). I actuall got to celebrate my 38th birthday in Ethiopia since I was there for 7 weeks. It's a birthday I will never forget. :-) We were open to children up to age 5. We were just ready to be parents and an infant wasn't something that we "needed."

Carmen
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 NKJ

singlemotherof8
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I am 58 and my granddaughter is 8. She was 3 when i adopted her, but i have had her sense she was born. My daughter wanted her but her job that she had at that time would have put my granddaughter into daycare more then at home. I had a stable home when my daughter asked me to adopt her. Now my daughter and son-in-law (not her real dad) are truck drivers. She is doing well and they do spend time with her when they are in town for their reset time. 

Jessy76
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I was 33 and hubby was 36 when we brought our daughter home at birth in late 2008 but we were 34 and 37 when the adoption was finalized 18 months later in early 2010. Private adoption no agency it took a long time but very much worth the wait.

2Gs
by Wendy on Dec. 21, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I was 37 when our daughter was born.  We brought her home from the hospital.  She is now 3.  I had my biological daughter a few weeks before my 40th birthday.   My husband and I both always new we would adopt but I figured that we would have a biological child first and adopt second, but God had other plans.  

adoptionjen
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 11:10 AM
I will be 35 tomorrow. Our son is 8 months old.
aprilz1225
by Silver Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 2:13 PM

i turned 32 after conner was born (him Dec. 25 me feb. 3) and daddy turned 30 a few weeks before fathers day that year.

conner will be 7 and well i stopped counting..lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN