Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

Help! Does your child have ODD?

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:37 PM
  • 7 Replies

I would like to talk to mom's with children who have mental disabilities?

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
harmony7
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Mental disabilities is such a broad term from severe to mild.

If you mean functional but different..I got that time three my kids have been with us for two and one half years.

My kids were adopted as older children from foster care...spent 7 years in care and early childhood was abusive including sexual abuse. They are "strange" by social terms as in they have no concept of body language and how to be appropriate, what to laugh at, how to read expressions. They do not understand emotions either from others or from themselves. The oldest will seem compliant at doing a chore but he will only do Half of what is asked so if I say feed and water chickens they will get fed but Never watered. He sees himself sitting in his own castle with others coming to him for solutions (no really he does it is is safe room he created to go to when stressed and abused)...problem is I cant get him out of the room and into the real world. He does not want others to tell him what to do, he does not want to do anything that is "hard" like homework so he fails at school, he cant keep a job because he knows better how do to Anything but does not have the experiences to really do anything at all.  He is 16.

The middle one ..well his safe place is that he is a super hero he protects everything small and weak. He helps to the point you will fall over him. He is too compliant if you get my drift. If not protected by boundaries and constant supervision he gets so out of control that he is more like a rabid squirrel jumping upon unsuspecting backs adult or child and screaming and hanging on. Zero real emotion...I mean his eyes go dead if you need to correct him, unblinking no one at home gone. Never been angry, never been happy but does understand extreme fear. He hoards and hides things.

The youngest ...after two and one half years still not sure. He is 12. He is the youngest, small and a bit spoiled as he was cute and the apple of his last foster parents eye. He is stuck at about 7 years old in thought processes and maturity. He has no friends at school because he is so immature. He is in fifth grade so older than everyone but much smaller in stature than all the other kids. He weighs 62 pounds. His iq is border line at 82. He Adores his older brother and will follow him to the ends of the earth into trouble. He is bossy to the max and if his mouth is moving he is lying. He cries at the drop of a hat and  will destroy every single toy he gets his hands on. ON the bright side this child Loves to cuddle, Loves his pets and all of his brothers. His best friend is my two year old grandson. He does not seem to have a safe place to retreat to, what you see is what you get..hyper and immature and destructive. He was removed at just 2 years old and spent the next 7 years in limbo in foster care.

The boys are light years from where they were when they moved home to us. They do love us and have bonded as best they understand and can comprehend at this point in their lives.  We do know that we will continue to fight for them and with them to help them be all they can be. We have three directives...teach them to love and know God, teach them to be honest and teach them to be trustworthy...if we can do that they will be okay in life.

Pam in Alabama
A Mom to nine sons and one daughter with five still at home
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:03 PM

My son does not have ODD. I am going to bump this up for other mommas to see, though, in hopes you can keep connecting with others in similar situations.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I have no experience... bumping so more moms can respond. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

maggiemom2000
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I have a child with Aspergers. We deal with tantrums and melt downs, he gets frustrated easily.

What do you want to talk about :-)

Melly2022
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:57 PM
My son has ODD he's 4 would love to chat
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mweddle
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:01 AM

My daughter has ADHD pretty severely and we suspect a learning disability as well and my son has been labelled ODD and ADHD.  He is easier than my daughter though.  He shuts down completely and will not talk to us.  He will throw tantrums if he gets in trouble to the point he kicks and screams. My daughter cannot sit still.  AND when I say that I mean she literally CAN'T sit still.  She is constantly moving.  She is failing school because of her problem.  We just started a low dosage of meds for her and she is doing MUCH better.  I'm an open book. let's talk.

sweetnana1964
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I have a daughter that was diagnosed with ODD, ADD, BiPolar, Attachment Disorder, and possibly Borderline personality disorder when she was younger. She is 22 now and doing much better. We also had behavior issues with all of her siblings once they became teenagers and their hormones started raging. Any time you need to chat or have any questions please fill free to message me. I would  love to chat with you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN