Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

keeping faith in adopting...

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:38 PM
  • 16 Replies
I am starting to open my adoption options, I still really want an infant, but I cannot allow myself to spend that much money, especially when I have two Bio babies to think of.

But I still have a big question...

Aside the homestudy (which I know I'll pass)
What can keep a family from adopting?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahSuzyQ
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Can you clarify your question a little bit? I'm not sure if you're asking why people decide not to adopt after starting on the journey, or what "outside" forces prevent an adoption from going through?

lovemylife89
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:21 PM
I'm asking, what can prevent the state or adoption agencies from allowing you to adopt?
mcginnisc
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Unsafe home, prior arrests/felonies....those are the major things...

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

lovemylife89
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:42 PM

So, is credit an issue? My husband and I have semi new credit, so it isn't all t he way up there yet... 

aprilz1225
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:52 PM

they do ask about finances and such most states requier 10kn per person per house hold. As long as you have no prior arrests and can finacialy suppport another child... relax... you'll be fine. never had to give a credit rateing or such. they take into conseration home value,401k, life insurance. also make sure you have a plan that states what will happen to the children incase something happens to you and hubby. Some states and agencies require you to be married for 2 years.

lovemylife89
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:36 PM

We've been married for almost 4 years.. And my husband is a military man, I'm going to be going to school starting in march, but I'm still really wanting to adopt, I'm only going to school part time, will that be an issue?

SarahSuzyQ
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:50 PM
I actually think the financial specifics vary by type of adoption, agency, maybe even state. In general, some history of financial stability and demonstrating the capacity to meet your obligations is going to be important.

If you pass the home study, I believe that's going to cover most of your bases. As far as going to school, I don't see why that would make a difference... Again, pending the type of adoption. For example, some foster placements may need a SAHM. Some expectant mothers who are considering adoption may prefer to place with a family that has one parent at home. Etc. But I don't think that should stop you from doing what is the best thing for you and your family... And your home will be the perfect fit for the right child when the time comes.
lovemylife89
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Thank you :) of course my husband will be home on the nights that I go to school, thank god cosmetology has night classed! So the kids will not be going into day care..

Oh and one more thing.. I am moving to VA and my family lives in CA. ( mom, dad, siblings) if I wanted to go visit my family and I have a Foster child in home with me, can they go with me? Or how does that kind of stuff work. I know nothing as you can tell lol.

Sincerely,
Clueless momma ;)
SarahSuzyQ
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Traveling out of state with a foster child is a little bit more involved. From what I have seen, a lot of it depends on the CW assigned to your child, as you do have to get permission to leave the state with a foster child. I am in Maine and my family is in Kansas, and I made that trip 3-4 times while my son was still a foster placement with us -- jumping through the hoops to get permission again each time. Especially if you are willing to minimize missed visits with bio family, I think they try to allow kids to go on trips with their foster family. If for some reason you are not able to take your foster child on an out-of-state trip, they will have the child go into respite care, which means staying with another licensed foster family while you are away.

When are you moving? You may want to wait until you get to VA to begin the process, as there are slightly different home study and adoption requirements in each state.

Quoting lovemylife89:

Thank you :) of course my husband will be home on the nights that I go to school, thank god cosmetology has night classed! So the kids will not be going into day care..

Oh and one more thing.. I am moving to VA and my family lives in CA. ( mom, dad, siblings) if I wanted to go visit my family and I have a Foster child in home with me, can they go with me? Or how does that kind of stuff work. I know nothing as you can tell lol.

Sincerely,
Clueless momma ;)

lovemylife89
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Oh yeah, I'm definitely waiting. I move in less than 2 weeks.

The reason I ask is because my sister will be having a baby in June and if I were to be a foster by then, I'd want to take the child/baby with me if I could.

My husband is trying to talk me out of foster care, because he says there's not going to BS enough room, he's irritating me a lil bit lol, we are moving into a 3 bedroom house... I don't see the issue? Do husbands usually act like that? Cause he was all for it a few days ago...

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Traveling out of state with a foster child is a little bit more involved. From what I have seen, a lot of it depends on the CW assigned to your child, as you do have to get permission to leave the state with a foster child. I am in Maine and my family is in Kansas, and I made that trip 3-4 times while my son was still a foster placement with us -- jumping through the hoops to get permission again each time. Especially if you are willing to minimize missed visits with bio family, I think they try to allow kids to go on trips with their foster family. If for some reason you are not able to take your foster child on an out-of-state trip, they will have the child go into respite care, which means staying with another licensed foster family while you are away.

When are you moving? You may want to wait until you get to VA to begin the process, as there are slightly different home study and adoption requirements in each state.

Quoting lovemylife89:

Sincerely,

Clueless momma ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)