Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

How long did your adoption process take?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:59 PM
  • 43 Replies

From initial application, to your child being in your home, to finalization... How long?

And what type of adoption did you do: international, domestic, foster?

Just thought this might be another helpful discussion topic based on some of the recent questions and conversations we've been having here... I know everyone's story is different, but I find it so helpful to learn from the experiences of others.

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mweddle
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:28 AM

1st time:  from initial paper work to placement - 6months

to finalization - 15 months

2nd time: from intial paper work to placement - 9 months  We haven't finalized and wont be eligible for 4 more months

3 & 4th time we didn't do any paperwork.  We were called because we have a sibling.  We knew about the boy when he was born and he is 4 now.  From the first phone call to our expected placement date is 4 months. 

We were chosen the first month we were eligible for both kids through foster care adoption.  Our daughter was 9 months old and our son was 6 years old at time of placement.  Kid's 3 and 4 were surprises.  ;)   I heard that BM got her tubes tied so we probably wont have any more surprises. 

eoewan
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:40 AM

We had a private kinship adoption. Nye was born on Feb 25. We were to adopt him at birth. Dd changed her mind when Nye was in NICU and wanted to try to be a mum. She and Nye lived with us so he has been with us since birth. After two months dd said that she couldn't do it and would we still adopt him. Because we had done the lawyer's appt. before Nye's birth all we did was go back to the lawyer's to officially sign the papers. At the beginning of June our adoption was final.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:30 AM

Applied-3/05

Completed HS/dossier- 8/05

DTC ( dossier to China)- 9/7/05

Referral date- 2/1/07

Travel- 3/29/07-414/07

Finalized in China- 4/4/07

Finalized with US- 4/13/07

Readoption process to get US BC- 5/07 

Completed readoption process- 10/07 

It was over a 2 year process for us. The CURRENT wait is over 6 years from log in date to referral, so that does not include the paperchase and travel..

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

bekalynne440
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd be interested to hear about those who adopted from foster care, as well as how many placements a foster home had before being able to adopt.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:03 AM
My husband and I adopted through foster care, by becoming regular foster parents who would be willing to adopt if a child in our care was unable to return home.

We submitted our initial application in January 2010, and our son was placed with us for foster care in June 2010... So it was 6 months at that point, and he was our first placement. We didn't adopt him until July 2012, a little over 2 years after he first came into our home.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AdoptingMommy
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Signed up Feb 1st, dd was born Aug so 6 mths. Then finalized in March.

Ours wasnt bad at all!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karraselle
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM

from paperwork to placement: 17 mos.

to finalization: 7mos.

We did the foster to adopt program. 17 mos. includes application, parenting classes and home study to be licensed as a foster home and a temporary placement of a sibling set (girls aged 2 and 4) who went on to live with their grandparents. DD was placed with us a month after the girls were gone.

Mandi812
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:12 AM

2011 December started Home study

2012 March Was Home Study Approved

2012 March Sent in Agency Application, Agency approves us.

2012 May, Match, Bio mom disapears,

2012 June, Matched again.  This Match Cancled

2012 August, Called with a Already born, you are picked Match.

2013 January Last home study follow up compleated

2013 Feb, we will send in our Last Required Bio mom update needed before Finalization will proceed.

2013 Late Feb to March we hope to have our court date for finalization.

--

Find out about our adoption at our Facebook blog.
http://www.facebook.com/MJAdoptionBlog

ljnnmommy
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:54 AM

From application to adoption 1 year. Seven months for the application, homestudy etc. to become a foster parent. 16 months from placement to adoption. It was quick judge was not putting up with bio mom who had already recently lost 2 children to the system.

aprilz1225
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:06 AM

conners less than a month (from paper work turn in) he was 9 and 1/2 month when we finalized. 

this time around.. started process sept. 15,2011 matched Oct.25th failed Nov.20th back on the list since then.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)