Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

How long did your adoption process take?

Posted by   + Show Post

From initial application, to your child being in your home, to finalization... How long?

And what type of adoption did you do: international, domestic, foster?

Just thought this might be another helpful discussion topic based on some of the recent questions and conversations we've been having here... I know everyone's story is different, but I find it so helpful to learn from the experiences of others.

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Replies (41-43):
Mweddle
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Mine is the first response.  All 4 of mine are being adopted through foster care.  We did not foster parent.  We adopted waiting children.  The wait was short.

Quoting bekalynne440:

I'd be interested to hear about those who adopted from foster care, as well as how many placements a foster home had before being able to adopt.

Vhx
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:55 AM

Our first took 10 months all in all. oDD was private foster adoption (foster care done through a private agency that works with the state), legally free and uncontested. The majority was waiting for hearings, etc. We did the homestudy and required training relatively quickly and she moved in, the rest was just paperwork, assessments, and courts.

Our second was international through China's special needs programme and took over 2 years from the time we first started paperwork to adopt. But had 2010 not been a royally screwy year for us, and had we not put everything on hold including adopting, it would have been a lot shorter. We started getting back in gear in late 2011, went through the whole process, and travelled in Nov/Dec. So in reality it really took about a year.

LorisBaby
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:42 AM
My kids were 4, 5, and 7 when we met. They all had birthdays within the next three months before they moved in. Now they are 5, 6 and 8.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

That's a pretty quick time line for foster care. How old were your kids when they came home?

Quoting LorisBaby:

We adopted from foster care. From approved homestudy to match was 6 months.

First call to completed classes was 2 months.

Class to approved homestudy was 7 months. This part of the process took the longest because of an incompetent worker.

Over all it was 1 year and 8 months from first call to finalization.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN