Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

Adopting 3 month old at 42... Anyone else my age? First time mom from PA

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:07 AM
  • 45 Replies

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rsgmom
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I was 42 when we adopted our now 7 1/2 yo. Do you have a specific question? Are you concerned about being an "older mom"? 

Karatemom90210
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:16 AM
2 moms liked this
I am 39 with 2 adult boys and a 5 year old boy and have recently starrted the adoption process in canada with hopes for a girl but at this point I am so desperate it no longer matters. Is age your concern? Because I have experience with both and can definantly say that there are benefits to both. I found that as an older mom I have a lot more patients and I find that I dote over every tiny milestone and accomplishment.they are all so special and wonderful!
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:43 AM
I'm on the "younger side" for parents with kids the age of my son, but I know some really great "older" parents. I really like what PP said about being good things on both sides. At any rate, I wanted to welcome you to the group; I hope you will find support and encouragement here!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
raleyfamily
by Carla on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:46 AM
4 moms liked this

I adopted an 18 month old when I was about 52 (had him since birth) a year and a half later, I adopted a 4 year old (she was two and a half when she came to live with us) and a year after that, I adopted her 18 month old brother (he was almost 6 months old when he came to live with us!)  Right now, at age 58 (hubby is 62), I am adopting that first adopted child's half sisters, ages 16 and 6!

I also have seven biological children from ages 36 to 16 years old.  I was 42 years old when I gave birth to my last biological child.

Carla Raley, wife of Bill, mom of 10, foster mom of more than 50
Visit my blogs for stories of the life of an older mom raising a large family, foster/adoption and homeschooling
http://raleyfamilysfarm.blogspot.com/

http://bookreviewsbycarla.blogspot.com/

eoewan
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I have 3 grown children and at the age of 49 we adopted Nye. Nye had been with us from birth and the adoption was finalized when he was 4 months old.

I worried about my age and whether I could keep up with a little one. What I find is my patience and calmness are beneficial to Nye. I noticed that I don't worry about the little things like I did when my older kids were little.

Congratulations!

cheers, donna

teaguen
by teaguen on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I was 45 when I adopted my now 10 year old and 48 when we adopted her sister. Both were 2 1/2 months when they came home.  Older and wiser and they keep me young and on my toes.  Congratulations to you.  Is this your first?

aprilz1225
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:02 PM

i was 32 wehn we adopted our son and now will be 30? ok 38.. and waiting list for a new born so kinda starting over older and we live in pa. too

Malley
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I adopted first when I was 26 years old and again at 54-they are now 5 and 2 and keep me young. BTW I'm the momma climbing on the playground equipment while the young mommas are sitting on the benches texting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raleyfamily
by Carla on Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:30 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting eoewan:

I have 3 grown children and at the age of 49 we adopted Nye. Nye had been with us from birth and the adoption was finalized when he was 4 months old.

I worried about my age and whether I could keep up with a little one. What I find is my patience and calmness are beneficial to Nye. I noticed that I don't worry about the little things like I did when my older kids were little.

Congratulations!

cheers, donna

I always say the older kids got the mom with the energy, and the younger ones got the mom with the wisdom!

Carla Raley, wife of Bill, mom of 10, foster mom of more than 50
Visit my blogs for stories of the life of an older mom raising a large family, foster/adoption and homeschooling
http://raleyfamilysfarm.blogspot.com/

http://bookreviewsbycarla.blogspot.com/

ToysRGood
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:45 PM

My son came home at 19 months in 2007 when I was 41.  He's my only child and I'm a single mom.  You're not alone!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)