Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

Passports?

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:59 PM
  • 24 Replies
Does anyone have experience with getting a passport for your child who was adopted? I have read that the government will give you trouble about this if the birth certificate was issued more than a year after birth... And obviously that's going to apply to most of our kids, since they don't issue the amended BC until after adoption.

I'm just looking for tips, suggestions, recommendations from anyone who has been there done that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eoewan
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:41 PM

We didn't have any problems. With saying that, I went prepared with the birth certificate, social insurance number, and health care number.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:01 PM

When was Nye's amended BC issued?

Also... I'm thinking it might go differently in the US than Canada. I'd love it if it were easy, but N's birth certificate is dated when he was 4 & 1/2 years old, and even on the passport website it mentions that this can't stand alone. :-/ I'm just hoping someone can give me a handle on what additional documentation we need to submit, as the written guidelines are very confusing.

Quoting eoewan:

We didn't have any problems. With saying that, I went prepared with the birth certificate, social insurance number, and health care number.

eoewan
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Also... I'm thinking it might go differently in the US than Canada. I'd love it if it were easy, but N's birth certificate is dated when he was 4 & 1/2 years old, and even on the passport website it mentions that this can't stand alone. :-/ I'm just hoping someone can give me a handle on what additional documentation we need to submit, as the written guidelines are very confusing.

Quoting eoewan:

In Canada you don't get an amended birth certificate. Nye was given a new birth certificate and it is the only one that exists now. His new birth certificate was issued once the adoption was final in May. His old birth certificate does not exist. His live birth was also changed to show dh and I as birth parents - weird, but that is the way it is here.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:54 PM
No, it's the same thing here... His BC reads the adoptive name with DH and I as parents. It looks like a regular BC, you wouldn't know that I didn't give birth to him. The only difference is that it was issued in 2012 for a birth in 2007, and a BC must be from within the first year of life in order to adequately prove US citizenship.

Sorry for the confusion. I'm pretty confused myself, if it helps!

Quoting eoewan:

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Quoting eoewan:

In Canada you don't get an amended birth certificate. Nye was given a new birth certificate and it is the only one that exists now. His new birth certificate was issued once the adoption was final in May. His old birth certificate does not exist. His live birth was also changed to show dh and I as birth parents - weird, but that is the way it is here.

eoewan
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

No, it's the same thing here... His BC reads the adoptive name with DH and I as parents. It looks like a regular BC, you wouldn't know that I didn't give birth to him. The only difference is that it was issued in 2012 for a birth in 2007, and a BC must be from within the first year of life in order to adequately prove US citizenship.

Quoting eoewan:

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Quoting eoewan:

I think your only alternative is is to take your adoption finalization papers along with the birth certificate to the passport office. If that doesn't work then you could order the live birth record to submit too. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Thanks for your help, I do appreciate it! Hopefully we can get it all figured out. I don't have a trip planned at the moment, but I want to get it all sorted out before we find ourselves on a tight time line.

Quoting eoewan:

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Quoting eoewan:

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Quoting eoewan:

I think your only alternative is is to take your adoption finalization papers along with the birth certificate to the passport office. If that doesn't work then you could order the live birth record to submit too. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

aprilz1225
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:05 PM

find the nearest place were you can do it all there we have one near us in philly take all papers  OBC the amended one all adoption papers. that's what we are going to do with conner i don't trust the govt to give it all back.

FlyingMommy747
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:13 PM

the passport was easy, it was her social security number that we had trouble with.  We live in Washington State and our DD was born in Las Vegas.  We had a trainee, who did not believe her BC was valid and just let it sit on her desk for 6 weeks.  we had to go back into the office, and demand action immediately because we were trying to get a passport so we could fly to Canada to visit family.  After reading them the riot act, we had her SSN within 24 hours.

ToysRGood
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:41 PM

I got my son's US passport easily; I did have to send in copies of his Ethiopian birth certificate and US birth certificate (given to me after his re-adoption in the states.)

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:22 AM
Was his name changed at all? I think I can access my son's OBC, but with middle and last name changed I'm not sure how they would know it was the same kid... I'm glad to know this wasn't difficult, though.

Quoting ToysRGood:

I got my son's US passport easily; I did have to send in copies of his Ethiopian birth certificate and US birth certificate (given to me after his re-adoption in the states.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN