Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

Pregnant and want to adopt

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:02 AM
  • 8 Replies

I am 21 and I would like to adopt and I am also pregnant, can you adopt while your pregnant? or do you have to wait until after little one is born?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Welcome to the group, and congrats on your pregnancy! :)

I can only tell you for certain about foster adoption, but my understanding is that many agencies require you wait at least a year after any major family change: birth, death, marriage, divorce, etc. Maybe it's different in private adoption, but I'll let those mommas with some experience share with you.

VladimirsMama
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Thank you and thank you! :)

moose1996
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Hello.  I am an adoptive mom of 9 months.  Each state is different but where I live in NH you have to have the babies 6 months apart.  The thinking is that they want you to be able to give a newborn child your full attention for the first 6 months.    

VladimirsMama
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Thanks 

Quoting moose1996:

Hello.  I am an adoptive mom of 9 months.  Each state is different but where I live in NH you have to have the babies 6 months apart.  The thinking is that they want you to be able to give a newborn child your full attention for the first 6 months.    

Mystres
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:36 AM

My home study social worker told us, that we could not Keep trying if we wanted to adopt basickly.  She said that one couple that was doing their home study got pregnet in the middle of their process.  and they had to put their home study on hold for the next I think year due to they would not approve some one that is pregnet.  you will have to talk to your social worker about it. 

aprilz1225
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:44 AM

some agencies do state that they do not want you to  continue TTC of any kind before they will take you.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I will tell you that when we were in the process to adopt our oldest from China, our agency told us flat out that if we were to get pregnant during the process, we would not be allowed to continue until the baby was 1 year old. 

Artificial Twinning is : “An expression used to describe unrelated children in a family whose birthdates are less than 9 months apart, including- a combination of biological and adopted siblings, adopted only, step or foster siblings."

Let me direct you to this blog that explains it very well: http://mamamem.blogspot.com/2011/03/artificial-twinning.html

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

VladimirsMama
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Thanks that has help

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)