Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

Adoption from a family member..

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:43 AM
  • 13 Replies

My fiances 3rd cousin is due June 13, 2013 and has been looking for adoptive parents for her baby, she is 16 and is not ready for a baby nor does she want it to raise it, she wants to live her teenage years. I was think we could adopt her(the baby is a girl) and raise her as her own her and Vladimir would be about 2-3 months apart. Would we more in likely be able to adopt the baby because we are family members (that is assuming she wants us to adopt the baby). I think I could handle a 2-3 month old and a new born. 

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eoewan
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Family/kinship adoption isn't the same as a regular adoption. You need to firstly discuss with dh's cousin whether she would accept you as adoptive parents. If she says yes, then you contact an adoption lawyer and they will tell you what steps to take next. Family adoption is, by far, the easiest adoption.

cheers, donna

VladimirsMama
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Thanks so much I will do that and I didnt think it would be easy.

Quoting eoewan:

Family/kinship adoption isn't the same as a regular adoption. You need to firstly discuss with dh's cousin whether she would accept you as adoptive parents. If she says yes, then you contact an adoption lawyer and they will tell you what steps to take next. Family adoption is, by far, the easiest adoption.

cheers, donna

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Really solid advice.

Quoting eoewan:

cheers, donna

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I have no experience with family adoption... I would *think* they would still require the usual homestudy and it would be up to the social worker that does the homestudy. Truthfully, they do frown up artificial twinning.. 

Having a 2-3 month old is hard- add in an infant and it is going to be even more difficult. My oldest dd was 17 months old when we adopted her from China. We found out 8 months later that I was pregnant with our youngest. The girls are 2 years 9 months apart in age, and let me tell you.. having 2 toddlers is AWFUL! LOL ...I don't want to discourage you, but if this is your first baby, you are most likely be overwhelmed to begin with, so adding a brand new infant ( hopefully with no health issues) is going to bring a lot more stress. 

I would contact an attorney and see what they say...after speaking with the family member. I wish you well. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

VladimirsMama
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Thanks

Opie99
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:35 PM

We adopted our nephew. DSHS was involved, so we had the social worker visits and everything like that. We had a home study done. It still took 18 months for everything to be final.

One thing about kinship adoption is that you can't avoid family. 

VladimirsMama
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:43 PM

We don't live around his cousin and it is rare for us to see here. 

Quoting Opie99:

We adopted our nephew. DSHS was involved, so we had the social worker visits and everything like that. We had a home study done. It still took 18 months for everything to be final.

One thing about kinship adoption is that you can't avoid family. 

raczac
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:55 AM

My boys are 15 months apart in age and we adopted and their birthmother is my mother's first cousin and they also have the same birthfarther. I wouldn't change anything about how close is age they are as now at 6 and 7 they are the best of friends. They have day's where they fight like cats and dogs but the friendship they have together. When someone else is picking on one of the the other will take cup for the other one. You can ask them if they are friends and they say yes but they also say that they are brother's for life. Good luck I know it will be hard at first with how close in age they will be but to me I don't think it would be to much different than having twins.

VladimirsMama
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Quoting raczac:

My boys are 15 months apart in age and we adopted and their birthmother is my mother's first cousin and they also have the same birthfarther. I wouldn't change anything about how close is age they are as now at 6 and 7 they are the best of friends. They have day's where they fight like cats and dogs but the friendship they have together. When someone else is picking on one of the the other will take cup for the other one. You can ask them if they are friends and they say yes but they also say that they are brother's for life. Good luck I know it will be hard at first with how close in age they will be but to me I don't think it would be to much different than having twins.

RetiredUSAFWife
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this

We adopted one of our grand daughters. She is nine now, and we've had her from Birth. (She was eighteen months old when we decided to adopt her though). We had to keep her six more months before going to court to write up all the paperwork etc. It took about eight months altogether, but as I said, we already had her in our care, so it was easier than I expected. She is nine years old now, and her mother just took us to court wanting her back. We've done everything legally and with a lawyer, and we feel that it cannot be reversed, anyone else going through this? There is NO reason for this to be happening either. If we'd abused the child, then I could see why this would happen. Otherwise it's something we didn't plan on happening. We're going to fight it of course, but the hearing didn't happen because our daughter didn't show up.Quite an embarrassing situation, Oh well, another strike against her now. I guess.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN