Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

Adoption from a family member..

Posted by   + Show Post

My fiances 3rd cousin is due June 13, 2013 and has been looking for adoptive parents for her baby, she is 16 and is not ready for a baby nor does she want it to raise it, she wants to live her teenage years. I was think we could adopt her(the baby is a girl) and raise her as her own her and Vladimir would be about 2-3 months apart. Would we more in likely be able to adopt the baby because we are family members (that is assuming she wants us to adopt the baby). I think I could handle a 2-3 month old and a new born. 

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Replies (11-13):
Malley
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:40 PM
On what grounds? Did she sign a surrender?

Quoting RetiredUSAFWife:

We adopted one of our grand daughters. She is nine now, and we've had her from Birth. (She was eighteen months old when we decided to adopt her though). We had to keep her six more months before going to court to write up all the paperwork etc. It took about eight months altogether, but as I said, we already had her in our care, so it was easier than I expected. She is nine years old now, and her mother just took us to court wanting her back. We've done everything legally and with a lawyer, and we feel that it cannot be reversed, anyone else going through this? There is NO reason for this to be happening either. If we'd abused the child, then I could see why this would happen. Otherwise it's something we didn't plan on happening. We're going to fight it of course, but the hearing didn't happen because our daughter didn't show up.Quite an embarrassing situation, Oh well, another strike against her now. I guess.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I agree with Malley that if your daughter's parental rights were terminated and you adopted her, then legally she is YOUR child. It takes a great deal to remove a child from her parents' custody, and your daughter would have to prove significant harm to your granddaughter in order to disrupt the adoption.

But it sounds very scary and stressful nonetheless. Certainly missing a court date will not count in her favor. I hope things can be decided quickly for you all.

Quoting RetiredUSAFWife:

We adopted one of our grand daughters. She is nine now, and we've had her from Birth. (She was eighteen months old when we decided to adopt her though). We had to keep her six more months before going to court to write up all the paperwork etc. It took about eight months altogether, but as I said, we already had her in our care, so it was easier than I expected. She is nine years old now, and her mother just took us to court wanting her back. We've done everything legally and with a lawyer, and we feel that it cannot be reversed, anyone else going through this? There is NO reason for this to be happening either. If we'd abused the child, then I could see why this would happen. Otherwise it's something we didn't plan on happening. We're going to fight it of course, but the hearing didn't happen because our daughter didn't show up.Quite an embarrassing situation, Oh well, another strike against her now. I guess.

Malley
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

I agree with Malley that if your daughter's parental rights were terminated and you adopted her, then legally she is YOUR child. It takes a great deal to remove a child from her parents' custody, and your daughter would have to prove significant harm to your granddaughter in order to disrupt the adoption.

But it sounds very scary and stressful nonetheless. Certainly missing a court date will not count in her favor. I hope things can be decided quickly for you all.

Quoting RetiredUSAFWife:

Plus there should be a limit in your state on how long a birth parent can claim fraud or undue duress. It's 6 months from finalization here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN