Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A question for those without central heat...(slightly OT...but, still parenting)

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:10 PM
  • 3 Replies

It has been COLD this year...and we are trying to decide what to do about heat in the babies rooms and the play room...we do not have central heat(unfortunately...working on it, but it's not cheap)...but, I worry about our toddlers around the traditional baseboard heaters we had in there...what do you use? How did you teach your kiddos not to touch...not to put toys in it, etc?

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something I can do.

~ Edward Everett Hale

http://amiraculousmess.blogspot.com

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Mystres
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:41 PM

You just made me think of when i was little.  We lived in a 100 year old farm house with no heat or air.  In the winter, we used box/electric heaters, and Kerosene heaters in the house.  in the summer one room had a air conditioner in the window, and the door then blocked off with a blanket.

I dont remember what my parents did to STOP us from poking at the heater, or what ever.  but they just kept a good eye on us and it.  and well if we touched it and got burnt we learned a lesson.  and didnt do it again.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:56 PM

We have a pellet stove, and it is our only source of heat unless we're away for several days... Then we'll turn on the baseboard heaters just to keep the pipes from freezing. Pellet stoves are nice because you can really only burn yourself on the glass door, and since kiddos can see a fire in there they generally stay away.

As far as teaching, we have good friends who had tall radiators in their house when their LO was just learning to crawl and then walk... It was rough. They had to watch him like a hawk, as well as any other kid that went over there. They told him every time he got near that it was hot, and once or twice they held his hand near (not on) it just so he could feel the heat. Even so, he did fall into the radiator one time and burned his chest. :( Poor guy. He stayed away after that, he would even tell us that it was "HOT!" But if you can avoid that lesson, obviously you want to... I think just telling them it's hot every single time they even look in that direction is a place to start.

MamaAgainx2
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Thanks ladies!! I think we will go ahead and put our baseboard heaters back in and see how they do...they DO have to learn one way or the other...and, we have to do something about heat!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)