Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

Parenthood

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:10 AM
  • 6 Replies

Do you watch it? Did you watch this season?  A couple adopted an older child through foster care.  It reminded me a lot of the feelings I've had with my son.  (although, I've never been unsure if I want to go through with the adoption)  What are your thoughts? I just watched the finale and cried my eyes out!  I can't wait to finalize with my son.  <3

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
3mom627
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I am and have been a huge fan of Parenthood. I really love the fact that the one boy has what I think is Asperger's and now the adoption. I haven't watched the finale yet, so I will have to let you know. I have adopted older children and what that child has gone through our DD from Ukraine went through. The kids were very mean.

3MOM627

have a nice day

eoewan
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I don't watch tv all that often. This might be one show I'll have to look up if you guys recommend it.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I have always thought this show looked interesting... We just never got into it. I've read mixed reviews of the adoption storyline in terms of how realistic it is. But even just bringing attention to older child adoption is a great thing, I think.

Mweddle
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I liked that story line.  Some things were a little crazy like, the lady just dropped him off and really they had made no mention of trying to adopt through foster care.  They didn't show vists or anything that normally happens and it was obviously hurried.  (only 15 episodes) haha.  BUT I could relate to the adoptive moms feelings at times and the troubles the boy had, we have dealt with some of the exact same things and some of the same feelings.  I really liked that they didn't make it look like it was effortless and easy to adopt an older child but they also showed how rewarding it could be.  I do like that they showed a different kind of adoption. (not that there is any type of adoption that is more important than another)

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:26 PM
It's just that adoption is portrayed as either infant or international the vast majority of the time... I really hope this can help draw attention to the thousands of older kids in care waiting for families.

I really do want to check it out at some point. Thanks for the recommendation.

Quoting Mweddle:

I liked that story line.  Some things were a little crazy like, the lady just dropped him off and really they had made no mention of trying to adopt through foster care.  They didn't show vists or anything that normally happens and it was obviously hurried.  (only 15 episodes) haha.  BUT I could relate to the adoptive moms feelings at times and the troubles the boy had, we have dealt with some of the exact same things and some of the same feelings.  I really liked that they didn't make it look like it was effortless and easy to adopt an older child but they also showed how rewarding it could be.  I do like that they showed a different kind of adoption. (not that there is any type of adoption that is more important than another)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kinshipcaremama
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:56 PM
I was kind of disappointed the first season because of the way the boy with Autism was portrayed. (My son has Autism and I wish it were so easy!). I don't have TV but maybe I'll check out the show. Sounds interesting.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)