Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

Registering with a tribe (PIOG)

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:53 PM
  • 7 Replies
Has anyone registered with a Native American tribe? DH can trace his family back to the Choctaw tribe (it looks like on both sides of his family). We know doing so would allow us to adopt a Native American child if the opportunity arose. It seems easy enough for him to register (he just needs to get copies of a few birth certificates). I'm hoping it's as easy as it seems.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Malley
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:41 AM
I don't know, but good question. My dh is 25% Blackfoot and looked into registering. His grandmother was full blood but I don't think she was registered and that's why he couldn't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:17 AM
I hope you find that it's easy, too. Seems like it would open up options for your family and for native kids in care in your area... Plus do you think your husband might participate in tribal activities?

Anyway, I don't know anything about it, but good luck!
bekalynne440
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Thanks. We will definitely be learning a lot about the culture and traditions, and will probably use a family vacation or two to visit a reservation. Ever since I can remember I've been fascinated with the Native American culture, so I'm quite excited about some doors this could open. DH is already planning a long weekend this summer to go to a powwow.

I'm going to talk with our social worker about this. I don't think there are many Native American kids in our area. Once DH is registered though we may very well be one of the only families in the general area that could adopt a Native American child without having to get special tribal permission.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

I hope you find that it's easy, too. Seems like it would open up options for your family and for native kids in care in your area... Plus do you think your husband might participate in tribal activities?

bekalynne440
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I just talked with our social worker.  She said we do get some native american kids in the system around here and once DH is registered she can put that in the system for our area and nearby areas.

Quoting bekalynne440:

Thanks. We will definitely be learning a lot about the culture and traditions, and will probably use a family vacation or two to visit a reservation. Ever since I can remember I've been fascinated with the Native American culture, so I'm quite excited about some doors this could open. DH is already planning a long weekend this summer to go to a powwow.

I'm going to talk with our social worker about this. I don't think there are many Native American kids in our area. Once DH is registered though we may very well be one of the only families in the general area that could adopt a Native American child without having to get special tribal permission.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

LucyHarper
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:34 PM

My husband and son are. It depends on the blood quantum allowed by his tribe and how much proof they want. 

RoddaMom
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I am from a reservation and my children's birth mother is a registered tribal member. I don't know if it will be easy considering you don't live on a reservation. I would look up the Indian Child Welfare Act if I were you. The only reason I could adopt the kids is because their birthmother AND the tribe said it was ok. The tribal way of life is different for each tribe but very unlike other cultures in the US.  Good luck!

ScarletRose4488
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:32 AM

There is a federal office that deals with Indian Affairs..... I can't remember the name but it works as like the go between of the tribal law / issues and the federal / state government.  I know they have information on what to do and how to do it.  THey also have contact information for the tribes.  GL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN